Register to reply

I am starting to doubt Ohm's law. I would like someone to point out why I am wrong.

by anj16
Tags: ohm's law
Share this thread:
anj16
Dec11-12, 09:00 PM
P: 38
As the title states I am really doubting Ohm's law. This is why: On a breadboard I placed a white LED and a 220Ω resistor with the 9v battery all in series. The total current flowing through the circuit shouldn't be more than 41mA by V=IR, but my multimeter points between the range of 150-120(Edit: mA). Can someone tell me why???

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
Integral
Dec11-12, 09:07 PM
Mentor
P: 7,321
We can't help without knowing what you are doing. A circiut diagram including how the meter is connected would help. Try to diagram what you have on the breadboard.

120-150 whats? What kind of meter are you using?
davenn
Dec11-12, 09:14 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,669
what sort of white LED is it give us a part number ?
it may be one that draws more current

Hint.... If you ever want to doubt a known physical law, assume it's something you are doing wrong, not the law ;)

Dave

anj16
Dec11-12, 09:16 PM
I am starting to doubt Ohm's law. I would like someone to point out why I am wrong.

Quote Quote by Integral View Post
120-150 whats? What kind of meter are you using?
Sorry about that I have edited it in the original post.

Quote Quote by Integral View Post
We can't help without knowing what you are doing. A circiut diagram including how the meter is connected would help. Try to diagram what you have on the breadboard.
Just so you know the correct way of connecting a meter in a circuit to measure the current is to connect it in series. which I did.
anj16
Dec11-12, 09:18 PM
Quote Quote by davenn View Post
what sort of white LED is it give us a part number ?
it may be one that draws more current

Hint.... If you ever want to doubt a known physical law, assume it's something you are doing wrong, not the law ;)

Dave
I agree with you which is why I thought someone could point out where I am wrong. And about drawing more current wouldn't the current be restricted by the resistor?
BackEMF
Dec11-12, 09:19 PM
P: 53
Quote Quote by anj16 View Post
As the title states I am really doubting Ohm's law. This is why: On a breadboard I placed a white LED and a 220Ω resistor with the 9v battery all in series. The total current flowing through the circuit shouldn't be more than 41mA by V=IR, but my multimeter points between the range of 150-120(Edit: mA). Can someone tell me why???

Thank you.
1) Measure the actual resistance of the "220 ohm" resistor.
2) Check the accuracy of the meter (use another meter - digital might be better as it would probably change the circuit less than and analgoue one)
anj16
Dec11-12, 09:21 PM
The resistance of the 220 ohm resistor comes to about 218 ohm.
BackEMF
Dec11-12, 09:28 PM
P: 53
Can we verify the battery's voltage?
davenn
Dec11-12, 09:31 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by anj16 View Post
I agree with you which is why I thought someone could point out where I am wrong. And about drawing more current wouldn't the current be restricted by the resistor?
yes, but the calculated total current through the circuit is a combination of the total resistance of the resistor and of the forward resistance of the LED

you still didnt tell us what sort of LED ??

Dave
K^2
Dec11-12, 09:39 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,470
Quote Quote by davenn View Post
yes, but the calculated total current through the circuit is a combination of the total resistance of the resistor and of the forward resistance of the LED
Unless LED develops a negative voltage drop, that seems kind of irrelevant, no? 9V / 220 Ohm = 41mA.

Any LED will actually reduce voltage by about 1 - 2 volts. So the current with an LED should be even less than 41mA. 150+ mA cannot be explained by any kind of LED.

anj16, can you take a picture of your setup?
anj16
Dec11-12, 09:50 PM
@Dave about the part# for the LED, I have no clue. I bought in bulk off Ebay.
I have attached a picture of the setup
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0170.jpg  
anj16
Dec11-12, 09:52 PM
Quote Quote by BackEMF View Post
Can we verify the battery's voltage?
The voltage of the battery is 9v
K^2
Dec11-12, 09:56 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,470
Isn't the entire + line connected on the breadboard? If so, your resistor is shorted out. Try checking resistance while it is in the breadboard.
anj16
Dec11-12, 10:02 PM
Quote Quote by K^2 View Post
Isn't the entire + line connected on the breadboard? If so, your resistor is shorted out. Try checking resistance while it is in the breadboard.
Thank you so much!! I never thought about that. I think I need a break from this ;)

EDIT: Also the doubt I had is gone because I re-measured the current and it comes to about 41 mA.
davenn
Dec11-12, 10:37 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
prob solved ....

the old saying ... a pic is worth 1000 words ;)

Dave
davenn
Dec11-12, 10:38 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by K^2 View Post
Unless LED develops a negative voltage drop, that seems kind of irrelevant, no? 9V / 220 Ohm = 41mA.

Any LED will actually reduce voltage by about 1 - 2 volts. So the current with an LED should be even less than 41mA. 150+ mA cannot be explained by any kind of LED.
yup fair comment :)

D

Register to reply