How does adding length to an extension cord affect Ohms Law?

In summary: As I said earlier, the voltage drop across the new resistor decreases the voltage drop across the original resistor increases. That's how a voltage divider works.In summary, the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance can be confusing when trying to apply it to real world situations. In household circuits, increasing the length of the extension cord can result in a decrease in voltage and current drawn, due to the increase in resistance. This is because the voltage drop is determined by the power outlet, and adding resistance in series decreases the current drawn. This can also be seen in voltage dividers, where increasing the total resistance decreases the current drawn.
cmango
I've never really understood the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. The more I read about them, the less comfortable I feel discussing them. V=IR...mathematically, it doesn't get any simpler than Ohms Law, yet when I try to predict the behavior of its variables in real world situations, I couldn't be more confused.

Let's take the example of voltage drop in household circuits. If we have two scenarios, 1) A power tool plugged into an outlet with a 10' extension cord; and 2) The same power tool plugged into the same outlet with a 100' extension cord of the same diameter, what effect would this increase in length have on the values in Ohms Law? Everyone knows it's bad to use too long an extension cord because the resulting voltage drop harms electric motors. But doesn't the increased wire length also increase the resistance as well as drop the voltage? And if this is so, wouldn't you need a concomitant decrease in current (I) to offset both the drop in voltage (V) and increase in resistance (R) in order to satisfy Ohms Law of V=IR?

I'm not looking for quantitative examples involving amps, volts, and ohms that we then "plug in" (grin) to our equation, but rather a relative understanding of how and why changing one parameter affects the others. I've read all the water analogies, some aspects make sense and some don't.

This brings up the biggest sticking point I have with Ohms Law. Everywhere I read that adding resistance(R) to a circuit decreases voltage (V). But I was under the impression that resistors resist the flow of electrons, and the “flow of electrons” is exactly what current (I) is, right? So V=IR, but increase in (R) results in decrease in (V) and (I) stays the same. Huh?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if you are really asking if household electrical devices operate at constant voltage, or constant current? Because, you are correct that increasing the length of a wire increases the resistance of the wire (keeping all other properties of the wire constant).

cmango said:
Let's take the example of voltage drop in household circuits. If we have two scenarios, 1) A power tool plugged into an outlet with a 10' extension cord; and 2) The same power tool plugged into the same outlet with a 100' extension cord of the same diameter, what effect would this increase in length have on the values in Ohms Law? Everyone knows it's bad to use too long an extension cord because the resulting voltage drop harms electric motors. But doesn't the increased wire length also increase the resistance as well as drop the voltage? And if this is so, wouldn't you need a concomitant decrease in current (I) to offset both the drop in voltage (V) and increase in resistance (R) in order to satisfy Ohms Law of V=IR?
The cord and the power tool are in series. Adding cord length increases the total resistance and decreases the current drawn. The total voltage drop across both remains the same--it's determined by the power outlet--but the voltage drop across the power tool decreases.

This brings up the biggest sticking point I have with Ohms Law. Everywhere I read that adding resistance(R) to a circuit decreases voltage (V).
Only if current remains the same, for some reason.
But I was under the impression that resistors resist the flow of electrons, and the “flow of electrons” is exactly what current (I) is, right? So V=IR, but increase in (R) results in decrease in (V) and (I) stays the same.
For a given voltage, increasing the total resistance decreases the current drawn.

1. What is Ohm's Law and how does it apply to the real world?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law in physics that states the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance. This law is applicable in various real-world scenarios, such as calculating the power consumption of household appliances and designing electronic circuits.

2. How can I use Ohm's Law to calculate the resistance of a circuit component?

To calculate the resistance of a circuit component, you can use the formula R = V/I, where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the voltage in volts, and I is the current in amperes. By rearranging the formula, you can also calculate the voltage or current if you know the resistance and one of the other two variables.

3. Can Ohm's Law be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, Ohm's Law can be applied to all types of circuits, including series, parallel, and complex circuits. However, for more complex circuits, you may need to use other laws and equations, such as Kirchhoff's laws, to accurately calculate the voltage, current, and resistance.

4. Is Ohm's Law affected by temperature changes?

Yes, Ohm's Law is affected by temperature changes. As the temperature of a conductor increases, its resistance also increases, causing a decrease in current flow. This is known as thermal resistance, and it can affect the accuracy of calculations using Ohm's Law in real-world scenarios.

5. Why is Ohm's Law important for scientists and engineers?

Ohm's Law is important for scientists and engineers because it helps them understand and predict the behavior of electrical circuits. By using this law, they can design and troubleshoot circuits, determine the appropriate components for a given application, and ensure the safety and efficiency of electrical systems.