Register to reply

The dispersion (standard deviation) of the estimator of neutron flux number

Share this thread:
Scatterer
Dec12-12, 04:32 AM
P: 2
Hello people, I think the problem what I have is well known in experimental physics. Hope, somebody can helps me, thanks in advance. Here is:

There is a source of neutrons with a flux of λ neutrons per minute, which you do not know and want to estimate. You open the detector for one minute and it counts N neutrons. The maximum likelihood estimator for λ would be N.
Find the dispersion (or standard deviation) of this estimator. What will it be for the limiting case N=0?

Looks like Poisson distribution, where λ isn't known.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
DrDu
Dec12-12, 05:32 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,633
Quote Quote by Scatterer View Post

Looks like Poisson distribution, where λ isn't known.
Yes, exactly. What is the standard deviation in terms of lambda for a Poisson distribution?
Scatterer
Dec12-12, 05:38 AM
P: 2
Standard deviation in terms of lambda is square root from lambda, but my event is different I think, have you any idea?

DrDu
Dec12-12, 07:27 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,633
The dispersion (standard deviation) of the estimator of neutron flux number

I think this is the best you can get with just one measurement. To estimate an empirical variance would require at least two measurements.

Register to reply