Hobbit the Movie

by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: hobbit, movie
stargazer3
Dec5-12, 01:13 AM
P: 44
Quote Quote by SHISHKABOB View Post
I would like to point out that Thorin, and also two other dwarves, died as warriors, so I'm not sure it's correct to say that depicting them as warriors is completely a bad idea.

I don't know that I'd call The Hobbit a "fairy tale", but it's been a while since I've read it.
Good point, but fighting is not the main theme of Hobbit, it is more of a culmination of the whole story. As for the fairy tale, remember all those dwarves making their entry one by one, singing, dancing, riddle games, trolls turned into stone, etc.? Those are clearly a fairy tale elements. When LotR came out, I had a similar feeling (apparently Tom Bombadil was not serious enough to fit in). I think that if not for the battle scene at the end of The Hobbit, Jackson would not make the movie.

Oh, one more about Thorin. Look at him, he has no beard (on a dwarven beard scale)! He's a shame to all the dwarven folk. I will not like hobbit-the-movie Thorin unless they claim it was burned by a dragon (recently), of bitten off by a troll (more recently, considering direct troll proximity), and demonstrate that it's growing back during the film.
Attached Thumbnails
thorin.jpg  
arildno
Dec5-12, 01:25 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
I think the beard of a true dwarven king reflect the state of his kingdom. Tiny kingdom, tiny beard.
stargazer3
Dec5-12, 04:59 AM
Quote Quote by arildno View Post
I think the beard of a true dwarven king reflect the state of his kingdom. Tiny kingdom, tiny beard.
Makes sense!
gravenewworld
Dec5-12, 07:11 AM
P: 1,389
Beh, I won't be seeing this one in theaters. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but IMO, I thought the LOTR trilogy was some of the most overrated set of films of all time. The overacting and melodrama was laughable at times, and the "humor"/dialogue quite corny in certain instances. I don't want more of the same. Next time you watch LOTR, no tice how many overhead flying shots Peter Jackson uses. 70% of the movie has to be overhead flying shots, the cinematography is so repetitive.
arildno
Dec5-12, 07:47 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by gravenewworld View Post
Beh, I won't be seeing this one in theaters.
One more ticket for me!
r4z0r84
Dec5-12, 04:29 PM
P: 92
Quote Quote by gravenewworld View Post
I thought the LOTR trilogy was some of the most overrated set of films of all time. The overacting and melodrama was laughable at times, and the "humor"/dialogue quite corny in certain instances. Next time you watch LOTR, no tice how many overhead flying shots Peter Jackson uses. 70% of the movie has to be overhead flying shots, the cinematography is so repetitive.
Are you sure your not thinking of Twilight trilogy?

/sarcasm
Borg
Dec7-12, 06:01 AM
PF Gold
P: 729
Ooh. Another trilogy in the making?

Tommy1995
Dec9-12, 07:43 PM
P: 39
CAN'T WAIT !!!
This film is gonnnaaa bee awesome!! Elves, hobbits, dwarves, a wizard, a dirty rat livin in a cave, dragon slaying, betrayal, seperation, orcs and a ring that can turn you invisible! what more could you want out of a film?
arildno
Dec10-12, 06:28 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Tommy1995 View Post
CAN'T WAIT !!!
This film is gonnnaaa bee awesome!! Elves, hobbits, dwarves, a wizard, a dirty rat livin in a cave, dragon slaying, betrayal, seperation, orcs and a ring that can turn you invisible! what more could you want out of a film?
Hmm..realism? Genital intermixtures, perhaps?
No, I guess you are right, I look forward to this film as well.
Borek
Dec10-12, 07:19 AM
Admin
P: 22,714
From the trailers I have seen so far I don't like the way dwarves look like. Plus, Thorin is way too young. Then, it is a thin book made into three parts, so I expect it to be watered down. I plan to watch it, but I am afraid it will be disappointing.
Borg
Dec12-12, 07:18 PM
PF Gold
P: 729
Here's a handy dwarf guide to take to the theater.

turbo
Dec12-12, 07:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
It's hard to get too worked up about this latest film-series. I read the Hobbit in college, then bought the LOTR 3-book boxed set and devoured that in less than a weekend. My roommate was not really impressed, because I asked him to turn the stereo down (or OFF), so I could read in peace. Eventually, he borrowed my books and got hooked, too.
stargazer3
Dec14-12, 03:50 AM
Ladies and gentleman, I've FOUND it!

I used to have this Soviet Hobbit book (don't buy the webpage claim that it's LotR, they are morons) with delightful illustrations. To be precise, it was a Ukrainian version of it. Please check it out, it is very cute indeed. Also, the translation for Gollum was Hum-Hum (equivalent to "Nom-Nom" in English).

I guess now you'll excuse me my frustration about the overall tone of the film adaptation.

Borek, did you have this one in Poland?
Borek
Dec14-12, 05:33 AM
Admin
P: 22,714
Quote Quote by stargazer3 View Post
Borek, did you have this one in Poland?
No, Polish editions that I remember were using standard original pictures for maps and were not illustrated.

There was one edition that was advertised as a "collectible", but it stank of abused Corel Draw on every page.

Edit: sorry, that "collectible" version was LOTR, not Hobbit. Still, everything else holds.
arildno
Dec15-12, 03:48 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
I saw it today, in 2D, 24 fps.
It was..amazingly beautiful and satisfying.
strangerep
Dec16-12, 09:12 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,732
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Thorin is way too young.
Nah, he's only 195 at the time of The Hobbit.
That's only middle-aged for a dwarf... :-)

[Oh, I'm so embarrassed that I actually know that...]
Jack21222
Dec16-12, 10:41 PM
P: 771
I watched the movie tonight, and it was a good, fun movie. The scenes with Radagast were hilarious.

Gandalf: Those are Gundobad Wargs. They’ll catch and eat you.
Radagast: These are Rhosgobel rabbits! I'd like to see them try.
nitsuj
Dec17-12, 03:33 PM
P: 1,098
Quote Quote by r4z0r84 View Post

The Hobbit is the only book i have ever read, for a school english exam. I hope i dont get frustrated by the book during the movie from suttle differences.

please post back when you have seen the movie.

I would like to know how you feel about the comparison between literature & motion picture.

Register to reply