Where can I find a molecule layout for calcium perchlorate tetrahydrate on Mars?

In summary, the rover on Mars reported on Mars dirt samples, and they talked about calcium perchlorate tetrahydrate.
zincshow
The rover on Mars reported on Mars dirt samples, and they talked about calcium perchlorate tetrahydrate. I have been searching for a molecule layout of this chemical (like a pdb or cis style file) that can be viewed in say JMOL with no luck. Does anyone know a good site to get layouts of simple chemical structures such as this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Link.

If that link doesn't work then use the Wikipedia link. On the right hand side, fourth item under Identifiers, has the Java image.

For what its worth, this post took longer to type than the search for the jmol image. Not sure if that is what you wanted.

Thanks, I don't think the link is correct, it shows calcium in green and has it way off to the left of the ClO4's. It should be between them with the Ca+2 linked to the two O's of the ClO4'S that are not double bonded to the Cl. I also think the bond sizes are wrong as they have the Ca+2 bond to the left of the ClO4 as being way, way toooo long. Ug...

The ICUR site has a .cif file format for Magnesium perchlorate, unfortunately, its above my payscale to read the data.

I have found Webmineral's 3d index of JMOL files http://webmineral.com/jmol/index.shtml and they have some clays there.

The best I found I think is the 3d soil virtual-museum at http://virtual-museum.soils.wisc.edu/kaolinite/index.html, the description of Kaolinite as a common clay are very nice.

On Mars, sounds like they have more Fe (Iron) and Calcium (Ca) in the clay rather then Mg, but I don't know for sure. I also wonder the effect of using the word "tetrahydrate" at the end of these names. Does that imply more water molecules in there and why no pictures of this type?

But clays are silicates, rather than perchlorates, generally, I think.

Yes, the tetrahydrate implies there are 4 molecules of water tied up in the lattice as well per mole of ionic salt

sjb-2812 said:
But clays are silicates, rather than perchlorates, generally, I think.

Yes, the tetrahydrate implies there are 4 molecules of water tied up in the lattice as well per mole of ionic salt

4 whole molecules H2O per mole of salt eh? :)

Oops, you got me, yes, 4 moles water / mole anhydrous ;)

1. What is calcium perchlorate?

Calcium perchlorate is a chemical compound that contains one calcium atom and four perchlorate ions. It is commonly used as an oxidizing agent in rocket propellants and fireworks.

2. How was calcium perchlorate discovered on Mars?

Calcium perchlorate was first discovered on Mars by the Mars Phoenix Lander in 2008. It was detected in soil samples collected by the lander's robotic arm.

3. Why is the presence of calcium perchlorate on Mars significant?

The presence of calcium perchlorate on Mars is significant because it indicates the past or present presence of liquid water on the planet. Calcium perchlorate is a hygroscopic compound, meaning it can absorb water from the atmosphere, suggesting that liquid water may have been present in the past.

4. Can calcium perchlorate be harmful to humans?

Calcium perchlorate can be harmful to humans if ingested or inhaled in large quantities. It is a strong oxidizing agent and can cause irritation to the respiratory system. However, the small amounts found on Mars are not considered harmful to humans.

5. How does the presence of calcium perchlorate affect the search for life on Mars?

The presence of calcium perchlorate on Mars has sparked interest in the search for life on the planet. As a hygroscopic compound, it could potentially support the growth of microbial life by providing a source of water. However, further research is needed to determine if any forms of life could survive in the harsh conditions of Mars.