Finding an Extrasolar Planet's Radius

• Thread starter crocvox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation to determine the radius of a fictional extrasolar planet using the bolometric flux of the star, the percentage it decreases during an eclipse, and the distance to the star. The equation, \frac{L_o}{L}=\frac{A_s-A_p}{A_s}, is provided and it is mentioned that the area of the stellar disc can be inferred from the star's luminosity. A measurement may be needed for other types of stars.
crocvox
Hi, I've come across a question that I can't seem to find an equation for anywhere, it seems to exists since I have found mention of it in various papers, but none of them listed it, or at least not in a way I could understand.

The question is to find the radius of a fictional extrasolar planet, and the information we are given includes the bolometric flux of the star, what percentage it decreases by during an eclipse and the distance to the star. My question is: what equation, if any, can help me find the radius of the planet?

Note: This question is asking for the planet's radius, not the radius of it's orbit.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
When a planet transits in front of the stellar disc, it obscures a part of it, which we observe as a reduction in brightness. That reduction is directly proportional to the relative areas of the planetary and stellar discs.
So let's say you observe an (improbable) 50% reduction in brightness during transit. It'd mean the area of the obscuring disc is 50% of the star's.
Once you've got the area of a circle it's trivial to get the radius.

So,

[tex]\frac{L_o}{L}=\frac{A_s-A_p}{A_s}[/tex]

where
L is the star's luminosity
Lo is the star's luminosity when obscured
As is the stellar disc area
Ap is the planetary disc area

Of course, you need to know the As.
For main sequence stars it can be inferred from the luminosity, as these stars obey luminosity-mass and mass-radius relations as explained here: http://www2.astro.psu.edu/users/rbc/a534/lec18.pdf.
Otherwise a measurement is in order.

Thank you!

1. What is an extrasolar planet's radius?

An extrasolar planet's radius is the distance from the center of the planet to its outer edge. It is typically measured in kilometers or Earth radii.

2. How do scientists find the radius of an extrasolar planet?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the radius of an extrasolar planet. This includes analyzing the planet's transit (when it passes in front of its star), studying its reflected light, and measuring its gravitational influence on its star.

3. Why is it important to know the radius of an extrasolar planet?

Knowing the radius of an extrasolar planet is essential in understanding its composition, density, and potential habitability. It also helps scientists classify the planet into different categories, such as rocky or gaseous.

4. What factors can influence the accuracy of calculating an extrasolar planet's radius?

The accuracy of calculating an extrasolar planet's radius can be influenced by various factors, including the precision of the measuring instruments, the distance of the planet from its star, and the presence of other objects in the planetary system that could affect the measurements.

5. How does the radius of an extrasolar planet compare to that of Earth?

The radius of an extrasolar planet can vary greatly, depending on the specific planet in question. Some may be significantly larger or smaller than Earth, while others may have a similar radius. This is why it is important for scientists to study and measure the radius of multiple extrasolar planets to gain a better understanding of planetary diversity.