wrolsr
Dec15-12, 01:16 PM
P: 2
Question:
Show that the system

x'= x-y-x[x^2 + (3/2)y^2]
y'= x+y -y[x^2 + (1/2)y^2]

has at least one periodic orbit.

I know that I need to apply Poincare-Bendixson Theorem. I can prove the first three points of it easily, but to create a trapping region, I believe that I need to switch this system to polar. I know that I need to make the substitutions y=r*sin(θ), dy= sin(θ)*dr + r*cos(θ) θ', x= r*cos(θ), dx= cos(θ)*dr - r*sin(θ)θ'. But when I do make the substitution, it makes the equations worse than before. Is there some other way to come up with a r min and r max for the trapping region? I just assumed it was a polar type question because its phase plane has a limit cycle on it.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
pasmith
Dec16-12, 04:14 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 946
If [itex]V(x,y) = \frac12(x^2 + y^2) = \frac12 r^2[/itex] then
[tex]\dot V = x\dot x + y \dot y
= x^2 + y^2 - x^4 - \frac{5}{2} x^2y^2 - \frac12 y^4[/tex]
which after some rearrangement yields
[tex]\dot V = x^2 + y^2 - \left(x^2 + \frac54y^2\right)^2 + \frac{17}{16}y^4[/tex]
Looking at that, you can see that there exist [itex]0 < m < M[/itex] such that if [itex]0 < r < m[/itex] then [itex]\dot V > 0[/itex] (because the origin is unstable, so trajectories are locally away from it) and if [itex]r > M[/itex] then [itex]\dot V < 0[/itex] (because if [itex]|y|[/itex] is fixed then [itex]\dot V < 0[/itex] for [itex]|x|[/itex] sufficiently large), so that the trapping region is [itex]m \leq r \leq M[/itex].

I don't think it's necessary to calculate [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]M[/itex]; it is enough to show that they exist.

Register to reply