Inverted pendulum car - pedulum will not swing

In summary, the community member is trying to implement the inverted pendulum cart simulation, but their code does not seem to be working correctly.
bolly
Dear Community,

I am trying to implement the inverted pendulum cart simulation. To do so I’ve used the equation system 5 published here http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.619.551&rep=rep1&type=pdf
I've solved the equation by left hand multiplication with the inverse which eventually yield following ODE System (consisting of the equation for d^2Θ/dt^2) angular- and (d^2 X/dt^2) linear acceleration with the pendulum angle Θ, car position x, force F, pendulum length l, pendulum mass mp, car mass mc, g-force g:

d^2 X .. 7 F + mp ( 7 (dΘ/dt)^2 l - 3 g cos(Θ)) sin (Θ)
-------= --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
d^2t .. 7 l (mc + mp) - 3 l mp (cos(Θ))^2

d^2 Θ .. 3 g ( mc + mp ) sin(Θ) - 3 cos(Θ) (F + (dΘ/dt)^2 l mp sin(Θ))
-------= --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
d^2t .. 7 (mc + mp) - 3 mp (cos(Θ))^2

To numerical solve this ODE I’ve used the taylor chain for x and Θ:

Θ (t +dt) = Θ(t) + dt * dΘ/dt + dt^2 * d^2Θ/dt^2
X (t +dt) = X(t) + dt * dX/dt + dt^2 * d^2X/dt^2

with
dΘ/dt = ( Θ (t +dt) - Θ (t ) / dt
dX/dt = ( X (t +dt) - X (t ) / dt

and implemented the following C-code:

Code:
       double dTHETA2(double THETA, double dTHETA, double F, double dx)
       {
           return (3*g*(m_p+m_c)*Math.Sin(THETA)-3*Math.Cos(THETA)*(F+dTHETA*dTHETA*l*m_p*Math.Sin(THETA)))/(7*l*(m_c+m_p)-3*l*m_p+Math.Cos(THETA)*Math.Cos(THETA) );
       }

double dX2(double F, double dx, double dTHETA2, double THETA, double dTHETA)
       {
           return (7*F+m_p*(7*dTHETA*dTHETA*l-3*g*Math.Cos(THETA))*Math.Sin(THETA))/( 7*(m_c+m_p)-3*m_p*Math.Cos(THETA)*Math.Cos(THETA) );
       }

public void PerformProcessStep(double F)
        {

double THETA_tpdt, X_tpdt;

d2THETA_t = dTHETA2(THETA_t, dTHETA_t, F, dX_t);
            d2X_t = dX2(F, dX_t, d2THETA_t, THETA_t, dTHETA_t);

THETA_tpdt = THETA_t + d2THETA_t * dt * dt / 2;
            X_tpdt = X_t + d2X_t * dt * dt / 2;

dTHETA_t = (THETA_tpdt - THETA_t) / dt;
            dX_t = (X_tpdt - X_t) / dt;

X_t = X_tpdt;
            THETA_t = THETA_tpdt;
        }

The problem is that my pendulum car behaves not as expected - after starting the pendulum from e.g. 10° off the vertical axis it starts to swing and the car also starts to move but then if the pendulum reaches 180° its angular velocity asymptotically approaches zero which shouldn’t be.

I would be glad if someone could give a hint

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Community,

after searching the web I found this https://rosettacode.org/wiki/Animate_a_pendulum#C.23 and adapted their method to numerically integrate an ODE - just for the case someone else needs some working code - here the simple solver:

Code:
         public void PerformProcessStep(double F)
        {

d2THETA_t = dTHETA2(THETA_t, dTHETA_t, F, dX_t);
            d2X_t = dX2(F, dX_t, d2THETA_t, THETA_t, dTHETA_t);

dTHETA_t += d2THETA_t * dt;
            dX_t += d2X_t * dt;

THETA_t += dTHETA_t*dt;
            X_t += dX_t * dt;
        }[\CODE]

Likes jedishrfu
Did you figure out why your original code didn't work?

1. What is an inverted pendulum car?

An inverted pendulum car is a type of vehicle that uses a pendulum attached to the top of the car to maintain balance and stability while in motion.

2. How does an inverted pendulum car work?

The pendulum on top of the car constantly adjusts its position to keep the car balanced. When the car tilts to one side, the pendulum swings in the opposite direction, causing the car to correct its position and stay upright.

3. Why would a pendulum not swing on an inverted pendulum car?

There could be several reasons why a pendulum may not swing on an inverted pendulum car. It could be due to a malfunction in the pendulum mechanism, an issue with the car's sensors, or a problem with the control system.

4. How can the swing of a pendulum on an inverted pendulum car be improved?

To improve the swing of a pendulum on an inverted pendulum car, the control system and sensors need to be adjusted and calibrated correctly. Additionally, the weight distribution and design of the car can also affect the swing of the pendulum.

5. What are some real-world applications of an inverted pendulum car?

Inverted pendulum cars have various real-world applications, such as self-balancing robots, segways, and even some types of drones. They can also be used in industries like manufacturing and transportation to improve stability and balance in moving vehicles.