Register to reply

Random distribution of spheres

by clamtrox
Tags: distribution, random, spheres
Share this thread:
clamtrox
Dec17-12, 09:36 AM
P: 939
Hey guys, I need to fill up a box with uniformly distributed set of non-overlapping spheres. This is quite easy to do numerically. I was wondering what is expectation value for the asymptotic volume fraction of the spheres.

Suppose I have a big box with side L, and spheres with radius R<<L. I pick a random point x inside the box, and add it to my collection of spheres if |x-xn|>R for all spheres already in the collection. I can keep on doing this until there's no room in the box to add another sphere; suppose that leaves me with N spheres. What is [itex] \frac{4\pi R^3}{3 L^3} E(N) [/itex] ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
0xDEADBEEF
Dec17-12, 03:30 PM
P: 825
This problem is called the "parking lot test" for random numbers. I am sure you will find the answer by googeling for it.

Register to reply