Random distribution of spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of filling a box with non-overlapping spheres in a uniformly distributed manner. The expectation value for the asymptotic volume fraction of the spheres is also mentioned, along with the "parking lot test" for random numbers as a solution to this problem.
clamtrox
Hey guys, I need to fill up a box with uniformly distributed set of non-overlapping spheres. This is quite easy to do numerically. I was wondering what is expectation value for the asymptotic volume fraction of the spheres.

Suppose I have a big box with side L, and spheres with radius R<<L. I pick a random point x inside the box, and add it to my collection of spheres if |x-xn|>R for all spheres already in the collection. I can keep on doing this until there's no room in the box to add another sphere; suppose that leaves me with N spheres. What is [itex] \frac{4\pi R^3}{3 L^3} E(N) [/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is called the "parking lot test" for random numbers. I am sure you will find the answer by googeling for it.

1. What is the random distribution of spheres?

The random distribution of spheres is a mathematical concept that refers to the arrangement of spheres in a given space. It is a distribution that is completely random, meaning that there is no specific pattern or order to the placement of the spheres.

2. How is the random distribution of spheres used in science?

The random distribution of spheres is used in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It is often used to model the behavior and interactions of particles in a system, such as in gas molecules or atoms in a liquid.

3. What factors can affect the random distribution of spheres?

The random distribution of spheres can be influenced by various factors, such as the size and shape of the spheres, the dimensions of the space they are in, and any external forces or interactions acting on the spheres.

4. How is the random distribution of spheres different from a regular distribution?

A regular distribution, also known as a uniform or even distribution, is a pattern that follows a specific order or arrangement. In contrast, the random distribution of spheres has no discernible pattern or order, making it truly random.

5. Can the random distribution of spheres be observed in nature?

Yes, the random distribution of spheres can be observed in nature. For example, the arrangement of molecules in a gas or the distribution of sand particles on a beach are both examples of natural systems that exhibit random distribution of spheres.