Kinetic and potential energy of a particle attracted by charged sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle at point A with charge ##q_A## and an unmovable sphere of radius ##R_B## at point B with a volumic charge density ##\rho##. The distance between the two points is ##r## and both objects have opposite charges. The goal is to find the speed of the particle when it reaches the sphere. To do this, the potential energy is equated to the kinetic energy and solved for the speed. However, the solution differs from the expected result and it is discovered that the potential energy lost is not ##\frac{kqQ}{r}## but rather ##-\frac{kqQ}{r}## due to the opposite charges. Once this is
fatpotato
Homework Statement
Find the speed of a particle initially at rest when put next to a charged sphere.
Relevant Equations
Potential energy ##U_E = k\frac{q_1 q_2}{r}##
Kinetic energy ##E_k = \frac{1}{2}mv^2##
Hello,

I have a particle at point A with charge ##q_A##, and an unmovable sphere of radius ##R_B## at point B with a volumic charge density ##\rho##. The distance from particle A to the centre of the sphere in B is ##r##. Both objects have opposed charges, so, the particle in A, initially at rest, is attracted to the charged sphere and reaches it with a certain speed with modulus ##v##, which I have to find.

First, I suppose the charge of the sphere is simply ##Q_B = \rho V_B = \rho \frac{4}{3}\pi R_B^3##.

Then, I suppose that the electric potential energy will be entirely converted into kinetic energy ##E_k##, when the particle reaches the sphere. I assume (and it might be wrong) that the sphere can be considered as a particle, so I consider that the two objects will touch after the particle travels a distance ##r## although in reality it touches the sphere after traveling a distance ##r - R_B##.

In the end, it boils down to $$U_E = E_k \rightarrow k\frac{q_A Q_B}{r} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2$$ So I solve for : $$v = \sqrt{\frac{2kq_AQ_B}{rm}}$$ while removing my negative sign due to the product ##q_AQ_B## to avoid a complex result.

However, my answer differs from the correction. Speed should be ##v = 2.5\cdot 10^5 \frac{m}{s}##, but I get ##8.42 \cdot 10^4 \frac{m}{s}## using the following numerical values :
##R=0.1m##, ##r = 1m##, ##k = \frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_0} \approx 9\cdot 10^9##, ##\rho = -1 \frac{\mu C}{m^3}##, ##m = 1.7\cdot 10^{-27} kg##, ##q_A = +1.6 \cdot 10^{-19}C##

Can anyone pinpoint what I am doing wrong please?

Thank you

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
fatpotato said:
In the end, it boils down to $$U_E = E_k \rightarrow k\frac{q_A Q_B}{r} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2$$ So I solve for : $$v = \sqrt{\frac{2kq_AQ_B}{rm}}$$ while removing my negative sign due to the product ##q_AQ_B## to avoid a complex result.
This is not right. When the particle collides with the sphere, it is still a distance ##R## from the centre of the sphere, hence still has some potential energy.

And, in fact, the potential energy is zero at infinity, which is why you had an incorrect negative sign to get rid of!

Likes Delta2 and fatpotato
Further to @PeroK's comment, the potential energy lost is not ##\frac{kqQ}r##. That is the PE required to be added to move the particle away to infinity. If we define the PE at infinity as zero (which is usual) then the PE at distance r is ##-\frac{kqQ}r##.
If a particle moves from distance r away to distance s away the lost PE is ##-\frac{kqQ}r-(-\frac{kqQ}s)=kqQ(\frac 1s-\frac 1r)##.

• Wow
Likes Delta2 and fatpotato
Of course!

By taking into account that the particle still has potential energy of ##kq_AQ_B \cdot (\frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{R})## when touching the sphere I get to the correct result.

Thank you PeroK!

Edit : just saw the answer from haruspex : thank you!

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
Further to @PeroK's comment, the potential energy lost is not ##\frac{kqQ}r##. That is the PE required to be added to move the particle away to infinity. If we define the PE at infinity as zero (which is usual) then the PE at distance r is ##-\frac{kqQ}r##.
If a particle moves from distance r away to distance s away the lost PE is ##-\frac{kqQ}r-(-\frac{kqQ}s)=kqQ(\frac 1s-\frac 1r)##.
As opposite charges attract, the negative sign is not needed for electrostatic potential.

• Informative
Likes fatpotato and Delta2
haruspex said:
The potential energy is negative because charges have opposite signs. You don't have to put the minus sign there. If the charges had same sign, the test charge would move by the electric force to infinity, no need to add energy to move it to infinity.

• Informative
Likes fatpotato and PeroK
PeroK said:
As opposite charges attract, the negative sign is not needed for electrostatic potential.
Yes, I was thinking in terms of gravitational potential energy and failed to consider the charge signs. But the principle that the PE change takes the form 1/s-1/r stands.

Likes fatpotato

1. What is the equation for calculating the kinetic energy of a particle attracted by a charged sphere?

The equation for calculating the kinetic energy of a particle attracted by a charged sphere is E = 1/2mv^2, where E is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle.

2. How does the potential energy of a particle change as it gets closer to a charged sphere?

The potential energy of a particle increases as it gets closer to a charged sphere. This is because the electric potential energy between the particle and the charged sphere is directly proportional to their distance, with the potential energy becoming larger as the distance decreases.

3. What is the relationship between kinetic and potential energy in a system with a charged sphere?

In a system with a charged sphere, the kinetic energy of a particle decreases as its potential energy increases. This is because as the particle moves closer to the charged sphere, it gains potential energy and loses kinetic energy due to the attractive force between the two objects.

4. Can the kinetic energy of a particle be negative in a system with a charged sphere?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a particle can be negative in a system with a charged sphere. This can occur when the particle is moving towards the charged sphere and its velocity is in the opposite direction of the attractive force, causing the kinetic energy to have a negative value.

5. How does the charge of the sphere affect the kinetic and potential energy of a particle in its vicinity?

The charge of the sphere has a direct impact on the kinetic and potential energy of a particle in its vicinity. A higher charge on the sphere will result in a stronger attractive force, leading to an increase in potential energy and a decrease in kinetic energy of the particle.