Register to reply

Blending thermosensitive polymers with ph sensitive polymers for drug delivery

by issac newton
Tags: drug delivery
Share this thread:
issac newton
Dec17-12, 11:53 AM
P: 14
i am interested in discussing about the pros and cons of having a vesicle of ph sensitive polymer (with drug to be delivered inside it), inside a vesicle of thermosensitive polymer for drug delivery. This gives us dual control capabilities that is temperature and ph based trigger mechanism.things i need to know about this are

1. is this method a novel approach for drug delivery, for a disease which needs a local site and ph change for drug release.

2. the ph sensitive polymer works based on feedback approach like the release of drug is based on ph change in the system.external triggering is involved for temperature change.

3. what are the difficulties in design of such drug delivery approach.

4. can i use this method specifically for some disease preferably(like some particular cancer demanding temperature and ph conditions) ?

thank you all.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Novel 'butterfly' molecule could build new sensors, photoenergy conversion devices
Rubber meets the road with new ORNL carbon, battery technologies
Breaking benzene
chill_factor
Dec17-12, 10:58 PM
P: 897
does a pH sensitive polymer even exist that would exhibit physical changes on a useful timescale?
gravenewworld
Dec18-12, 09:05 AM
P: 1,408
Quote Quote by chill_factor View Post
does a pH sensitive polymer even exist that would exhibit physical changes on a useful timescale?
Oh yes.

Dendrimers:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...ed=0CDQQgQMwAA

Many other types of nanoparticles are supposed to be designed to degrade or release as they become encapsulated in endosomes, which have a lower pH.

I imagine difficulty of design for something like the OP is talking about is trying to maintain zero order release kinetics, which is always a challenging issue with nanoparticles for drug delivery. Even if that is solved, the next problem is that many nanoparticles have problems with forming aggregates.

gravenewworld
Dec18-12, 09:08 AM
P: 1,408
Blending thermosensitive polymers with ph sensitive polymers for drug delivery

Quote Quote by issac newton View Post
i am interested in discussing about the pros and cons of having a vesicle of ph sensitive polymer (with drug to be delivered inside it), inside a vesicle of thermosensitive polymer for drug delivery. This gives us dual control capabilities that is temperature and ph based trigger mechanism.things i need to know about this are

1. is this method a novel approach for drug delivery, for a disease which needs a local site and ph change for drug release.

2. the ph sensitive polymer works based on feedback approach like the release of drug is based on ph change in the system.external triggering is involved for temperature change.

3. what are the difficulties in design of such drug delivery approach.

4. can i use this method specifically for some disease preferably(like some particular cancer demanding temperature and ph conditions) ?

thank you all.

Yes, you could use it for cancer. Cancer cells are more sensitive to heat, so if you had a thermosensitive polymer, you could target cancer cells with heat, and they should only die as opposed to normal cells/tissue. Then you could have release of your anti-cancer drug to kill off any remaining cancer cells. I guess that's what you're thinking about? Another issue is making sure your polymers themselves are not toxic, which is always another big issue.

Register to reply