Register to reply

What is negative frequency(fourier transform)

by ankities
Tags: frequencyfourier, negative, transform
Share this thread:
ankities
Dec20-12, 06:00 AM
P: 9
in fourier transforms of normal baseband sigal , spectral components are replicated on both +ve and -ve sides of frequency axis.

i know that both -ve and +ve frequency components contribute to the total power of the signal

but i dont know the physical significance of the -ve frequencies used?

are these -ve frequencies just the mathematical imaginary tool ?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
Compact vibration harvester power supply with highest efficiency opens door to "fix-and-forget" sensor nodes
Runei
Dec20-12, 07:09 AM
P: 140
There is no physical reality of the negative frequency. It is, as you say, a mathmatical tool.

However, the negative frequencies only emerge because we wish to simplify the fourier transform.

It is perfectly possible to have a Fourier Transform without any imaginary and negative components.

If you look into Fourier Series (from which Fourier Transforms are developed), you will see that it can be represented as

[itex]f(t) = a_{0} + \sum_{n}a_{n} cos(n\omega t + \theta_{n}) + \sum_{m}b_{m} sin(m\omega t + \theta_{m})[/itex]

It is only because we wish to simplify this that we make use of eulers identity that

e = cos(θ) i sin(θ)

When substituting this you will get "negative frequencies" when deriving all the formulas.
the_emi_guy
Dec20-12, 07:54 AM
P: 585
Quote Quote by Runei View Post
There is no physical reality of the negative frequency. It is, as you say, a mathmatical tool.
Perhaps it would be more precise to say that there is no physical reality of complex frequencies in general, and that any real signals consist of a sum of positive and negative complex frequencies:

[itex]cos(ωt) = \frac{e^{+jωt} + e^{-jωt}}{2}[/itex]

On the other hand there is a physical reality to complex frequencies when we use them to describe modulation.

Specifically, they represent a *pair* of real modulation signals.

There are two independent degrees of freedom when modulating a sinusoid; phase/amplitude in polar coordinates, I/Q in rectangular coordinates. We can incorporate both of these independent signals into our single complex frequency expression.

In other words just as complex numbers can represent a pair of real numbers on an Argand diagram, complex frequencies can represent a pair of orthogonal modulation components of a real sinusoid.

Register to reply