Units of Fourier Transform (CTFT) vs spectral density

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around the units used in the Fourier Transform and Parseval's equation when calculating spectral density. The units are determined to be ##\frac{V^2}{Hz}##, but there is confusion on how this aligns with the definition of the Fourier Transform. It is eventually clarified that the units should be energy per Hz, which can be achieved by rearranging the units in the equation.
amama
I'm confused on how units work with regards to the Fourier Transform (CTFT).

I was reading the Wikipedia article on spectral density. In an example, they use Parseval's equation, along with the units calculated on the time side, to determine the units on the frequency domain side. The units of the spectral density are determined as ##\frac{V^2}{Hz}##.

The reasoning in the article makes sense, but what I am struggling with is how those units make sense from the definition of the Fourier Transform. The Fourier Transform integrates the signal with respect to time ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x(t) e^{-j\omega t} dt##. I would guess that the units would be volt-seconds, which would be equivalent to ##\frac{V}{Hz}##. If you square that, like you do in the Parseval's equation, wouldn't the units now be ##\frac{V^2}{Hz^2}##, which is different than ##\frac{V^2}{Hz}##, so obviously I made a mistake somewhere.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello amama, :welcome: !
amama said:
If you square that
You do, but then you integrate over ##df## which has the dimension ##{\rm s}^{-1}## .

BvU said:
Hello amama, :welcome: !
You do, but then you integrate over ##df## which has the dimension ##{\rm s}^{-1}## .

Thanks. Based on your answer I looked back at what I was doing and realized that I was looking at energy spectral density and that I was used to looking at power spectral density.

With energy density the equation inside should be energy per Hz, which is what you get if you "flip" one of the s to the bottom as Hz, but leave the other one to turn the ##v^2## to ##v^2 s##, which is indeed units of energy.

$$v^2 s^2 = \frac{v^2 s}{Hz}$$

1. What is the difference between units of Fourier Transform (CTFT) and spectral density?

The units of Fourier Transform (CTFT) and spectral density are both used to measure the frequency components of a signal. However, the CTFT measures the amplitude and phase of each frequency component, while the spectral density measures the power or energy of each frequency component.

2. How are the units of Fourier Transform (CTFT) and spectral density related?

The units of Fourier Transform (CTFT) and spectral density are mathematically related. The CTFT of a signal is equal to the square root of the spectral density, multiplied by a constant factor.

3. What are the units of the CTFT and spectral density?

The units of the CTFT are typically expressed in terms of frequency, such as Hertz (Hz) or radians per second (rad/s). The units of spectral density are typically expressed in terms of power per frequency, such as Watts per Hertz (W/Hz) or Joules per radian (J/rad).

4. Can the units of CTFT and spectral density be converted to each other?

Yes, the units of CTFT and spectral density can be converted to each other using the mathematical relationship between the two. However, the conversion factor may vary depending on the specific signal being analyzed.

5. In what situations would you use the units of CTFT vs spectral density?

The units of CTFT are commonly used in signal processing and communications to analyze the frequency components of a signal and determine the signal's amplitude and phase at each frequency. The units of spectral density are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the energy or power distribution of a signal in the frequency domain.