Register to reply

Every feild has a subset isomorphic to rational numbers?

by Tyler314
Tags: feilds, isomorphism, linear algebra
Share this thread:
Tyler314
Dec20-12, 02:49 AM
P: 1
I am reading linear algebra by Georgi Shilov. It is my first encounter with linear algebra. After defining what a field is and what isomorphism means he says that it follows that every field has a subset isomorphic to rational numbers. I don't see the connection.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
pwsnafu
Dec20-12, 04:06 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 820
Quote Quote by Tyler314 View Post
I am reading linear algebra by Georgi Shilov. It is my first encounter with linear algebra. After defining what a field is and what isomorphism means he says that it follows that every field has a subset isomorphic to rational numbers. I don't see the connection.
Either you're misinterpreting the statement or it's very wrong. I can't see how a field with a finite number of elements could be isomorphic to Q. Could directly quote the section?
lurflurf
Dec20-12, 07:07 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,263
That is a good book. As a recall that statement does not apply to the most general field, there is some qualification. With a qualification (perhaps the feild must be of characteristic 0 so that Ʃ1=0 only when the sum is empty) it is obviously true a/b is just a 1's divided by b 1's.

Erland
Dec20-12, 09:26 AM
P: 339
Every feild has a subset isomorphic to rational numbers?

What is true is that every field has a subfield which is isomorphic to either ##Q## or to the field ##Z_p## (integers modulo ##p##) for some prime ##p##.
A. Bahat
Dec21-12, 10:58 AM
P: 150
I've got a copy of Shilov in front of me, and on page 2 while defining a field (or number field, as he calls it) he writes

"The numbers 1, 1+1=2, 2+1=3, etc. are said to be natural; it is assumed that none of these numbers is zero."

That is, he is only working with fields of characteristic zero. In this case, it is immediate that every such field contains a subfield isomorphic to the field of rational numbers, i.e. the rationals can be isomorphically embedded in any field of characteristic zero.
Fredrik
Dec21-12, 06:23 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,258
I wouldn't say that it's "immediate", but it's fairly easy to prove. Denote the field by ##\mathbb F##. For each positive integer n, define n1=1+...+1, where 1 is the multiplicative identity of ##\mathbb F##, and there are n copies of 1 on the right. Also define (-n)1=(-1)+...+(-1), and 01=0, where the 0 on the left is the additive identity in the field of integers, and the 0 on the right is the additive identity of ##\mathbb F##.

Now you can define a function ##f:\mathbb Q\to\mathbb F## by
$$f\left(\frac p q\right)=(p1)(q1)^{-1}.$$ This only makes sense if we can prove that the right-hand side depends only on the quotient p/q, so you would have to do that. Then you would of course also have to prove that this f is a field isomorphism.

Register to reply