Will this centrifugal fan design work?

by blainiac
Tags: centrifugal, fan, helicopter, rc-craft, vtol
Share this thread:
blainiac
Dec21-12, 01:02 AM
P: 27
Hello everyone.

I am working on a VTOL RC craft that I hope will work. I was planning on using a centrifugal fan to accelerate air radially (instead of a squirrel-cage design), and putting 45 degree truncated cones around it to direct it downwards. I wrote a program with many small particles accelerating outward from a 'fan', and they bounced as predicted off the shrouds. I was just wondering if you think this would work in real life.

I was thinking if the fan blades were at a pretty large distance and tall, it could move quite a bit of air. With a larger diameter, it wouldn't need to spin as quickly as a smaller unit.

I was going to build this using a chainsaw engine to move two centrifugal fans (only one is shown in the drawings), and make truncated cones from plastic. I was wondering if anybody had any advice or input for this. I was also wondering if anyone knew any useful formulas to aid in the design process.
Attached Thumbnails
newestidea.png   fan.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists unlock nature of high-temperature superconductivity
Serial time-encoded amplified microscopy for ultrafast imaging based on multi-wavelength laser
Measuring the smallest magnets: Physicists measured magnetic interactions between single electrons
AlephZero
Dec21-12, 06:08 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,953
Sure. You just reinvented this (see the bottom of the page).
http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/212_fall...len/Page4.html
blainiac
Dec21-12, 01:30 PM
P: 27
Thank you for your reply. I read the link provided, very interesting stuff. So basically this is the initial part of a jet engine, minus the combustion chamber and turbine? I wonder if it would work well still to fly with just the 'compressor'.

Register to reply