Improve Air Flow with Centrifugal Fan Design

In summary, the person is trying to use a centrifugal fan to force air through a small tube, but is looking for ways to improve the design and performance. The current prototype is made with a tin and tubing, which is not ideal. The airflow is not as desired, and the person is considering changing the design and using a more suitable fan. They are also looking for software tools to help with designing and simulating fluid flow. Suggestions are given to remove the tube and use a hinged box or a curved and tapered duct for better airflow. More details about the desired airflow and the selected fan would be helpful in finding a solution.
urb-nurd
I am currently trying to use a centrifugal fan to force air through a small tube however i am looking for some information on how to better the design and performance as what i have currently is severely lack-lustre.
Qr3LZkq.png

This is just a prototype for controlling rate of airflow and all i had on hand was a tin with some tubing hence the god-awful design.

The issue is that the air making it out of the tube is less than desired, as it seems more air is forced from the fan outwards towards northwest (according to the diagram, if that makes any sense) rather than into the tin and out of the tube.

I am to change the design but i am unsure what is the best approach.

I will get a more suitable fan (is a pump better?) as mine is certainly powerful enough - but it is overkill for what i need. it is the airflow that is hindering the performance.

I think need to find a better way to direct the airflow in a gradual reduction in diameter/volume rather than blast air into a tin and use the pressure to force air through the tube.

Are there any software tools than can aid with design or simulation of fluid flow?

Thanks for reading, any input is greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why the tube? We have no idea what you are trying to cool. Why not remove the tube, close the hole and allow the right vertical side of the box to hinge upwards, that way you can vary the flow from zero to fan-max?

Yes, without more details about what you are trying to do and why, it is difficult to help. Also, providing the desired airflow and make/model/curve for the selected fan would help.

The particular fan you're using is probably not that optimal if the outlet flow is restricted. You don't include the details about the fan, such as it's power rating. Instead of the tin box and tube pointed up, the setup would be much better if the outlet flow went into a curved and optionally tapered duct.

1. What is a centrifugal fan?

A centrifugal fan is a type of fan that uses centrifugal force to increase air flow. It consists of a rotating impeller that accelerates the air and pushes it outwards, creating a high-pressure and high-velocity air stream.

2. How does a centrifugal fan improve air flow?

A centrifugal fan improves air flow by using centrifugal force to create a high-pressure and high-velocity air stream. This air stream can be directed in a specific direction to increase air flow in a particular area or space.

3. What factors impact the design of a centrifugal fan?

The design of a centrifugal fan is impacted by factors such as the desired air flow rate, pressure requirements, and the type of environment it will be operating in. Other factors include the size and shape of the fan, the number of blades on the impeller, and the speed at which the fan rotates.

4. Are there different types of centrifugal fans?

Yes, there are different types of centrifugal fans, including forward-curved, backward-curved, and radial blade fans. Each type has its own unique design and features that make it suitable for different applications and environments.

5. How can I determine the best centrifugal fan design for my needs?

To determine the best centrifugal fan design for your needs, you should consider factors such as the air flow rate, pressure requirements, and the specific environment and application it will be used in. It is also important to consult with an expert or use fan selection software to ensure the most efficient and effective design for your specific needs.