Equality of Operators A & B on Hilbert Space H

• Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between operators A and B on a complex Hilbert space H, where [A,B] is equal to the scalar c times the identity operator I. It is questioned whether this means [A,B] is the same as cI, and it is pointed out that this may not be the case for unbounded operators and when considering the domains. The conversation also touches on a related paradox and suggests further discussion on another thread.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Imagine we have two operators A and B on a complex hilbert space H such that:
[itex]
[A,B] \psi = (AB-BA) \psi=c \psi \ \ \ \ \psi \epsilon H \mbox{ and } c \epsilon C
[/itex]
Then can we say that [A,B] is the same as cI when I is the identity operator?Why?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]T,S:H\rightarrow H[/itex] (if you're working with unbounded operators then things change). By definition, we have

[tex]T=S[/tex]

if and only if

[tex]T\psi = S\psi[/tex]

for all [itex]\psi\in H[/itex].

So yes, in that case we can say [itex][A,B]=cI[/itex].

So if we have unbounded operators,we should deal with the domains too?
Let D(I)=H and let one of A and B be unbounded.
What you tell now?
Thanks

@micromass: Shyan's questions are motivated by this thread, where there's some discussion about what's wrong with calculations like this one:
Fredrik said:
Suppose that [A,B]=cI, where I is the identity operator and c is a complex number.
\begin{align}1 =\frac 1 c \langle a| cI|a\rangle =\frac 1 c \langle a|[A,B]|a\rangle =\frac 1 c \big(\langle a|AB|a\rangle - \langle a|BA|a\rangle\big) =\frac 1 c\big(a^*\langle a|B|a\rangle-a\langle a|B|a\rangle\big)=0.
\end{align} I used that a is real in the last step.
I don't understand the issues well enough (or just haven't thought it through enough) to write down a complete explanation of everything that's going on here, but it's clear that it has something to do with the domains of the operators.

Fredrik said:
@micromass: Shyan's questions are motivated by this thread, where there's some discussion about what's wrong with calculations like this one:

I don't understand the issues well enough (or just haven't thought it through enough) to write down a complete explanation of everything that's going on here, but it's clear that it has something to do with the domains of the operators.

I see. But in that case, [A,B] is only densely defined. So

[tex][A,B]\psi[/tex]

doesn't even make sense for all [itex]\psi \in H[/itex].

And since [itex]I[/itex] is everywhere defined, we can never have [itex][A,B]=cI[/itex]. We can only have [itex][A,B]\subset cI[/itex].

Yes,But we can define an identity operator with the same domain as [A,B] and do the calculations.Or we can choose a vector from [A,B]'s domain.So what you say doesn't solve the problem.

P.S.
Ok guys,looks like here's going to be the same discussion as the topic related to that paradox,so I guess you guys may want to lock this one.

Last edited:
Shyan said:
Yes,But we can define an identity operator with the same domain as [A,B] and do the calculations.Or we can choose a vector from [A,B]'s domain.So what you say doesn't solve the problem.

What problem??
It's probably not a good idea to have two threads on the same topic. So I'm going to lock this thread and ask that we discuss this further in the thread that Fredrik linked.

What is the definition of "equality of operators A & B on Hilbert Space H"?

The equality of operators A and B on Hilbert Space H means that the two operators have the same domain and they produce the same results when applied to any element in that domain. In other words, A and B are identical in their actions on the elements of Hilbert Space H.

How do you prove the equality of operators A & B on Hilbert Space H?

To prove the equality of operators A and B on Hilbert Space H, one must show that A and B have the same domain and that they produce the same results when applied to any element in that domain. This can be done by using mathematical techniques such as induction or direct proof.

What are the implications of the equality of operators A & B on Hilbert Space H?

The equality of operators A and B on Hilbert Space H has several implications. One of the main implications is that the two operators have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors. This means that they have the same spectral decomposition and can be diagonalized in the same basis. Additionally, the equality of operators A and B implies that they have the same properties and behave in the same way under certain operations.

Can two operators A & B on Hilbert Space H be equal if they have different domains?

No, two operators A and B on Hilbert Space H cannot be equal if they have different domains. The equality of operators requires that they have the same domain and produce the same results when applied to any element in that domain. If the domains are different, then the operators are not identical in their actions and cannot be considered equal.

Why is the equality of operators A & B on Hilbert Space H important in mathematical analysis?

The equality of operators A and B on Hilbert Space H is important in mathematical analysis because it allows for the use of properties and operations that are shared by the two operators. This makes it easier to study and understand the behavior of these operators and their effects on elements in Hilbert Space H. Additionally, the equality of operators helps to simplify and generalize mathematical theorems and proofs involving these operators.