Dark Matter and Dark Energy: WTH are they?

In summary: Dark energy is the hypothetical force that is pushing the universe apart. It is supposed to make up the largest part of the universe, and it is constantly pushing things apart. There is also some form of dark matter that is supposed to make up the rest of the universe. Scientists don't know what it is, but they think it is there.
plerza
I am not currently a physics major, just an enthusiast. Hopefully that will change soon. Regardless: I hear physicists talk about dark energy & dark matter very frequently, but I've never actually had it explained in a sensible way. Can you tell me what dark energy & dark matter are as well as why physicists believe it is there? Thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
Awesome, thanks! I usually stray away from wiki, but if you say those pages are accurate then I'm all in.

plerza said:
Awesome, thanks! I usually stray away from wiki, but if you say those pages are accurate then I'm all in.

Wikipedia should be taken for what it is. An encyclopedia that is constantly updated. Just like any source of information it can be inaccurate, but in my experience of using it, of which I have quite a lot, it's almost always good. It's a good source for general information about a subject, but don't try to write a paper using it as your source.

Nobody knows for sure what Dark Matter and Dark Energy are at this time. Explaining their existence is one of the main goals of modern theorists.

plerza...

Here are a few tidbits from my notes:

These are fairly recent and I found them useful in distinguishing between negative pressure dark energy and the Einstein cosmological constant: [I did not record the sources, but these from trusted posters in these forums.]

a negative pressure dark energy is the same thing as a cosmological constant. The difference is that the curvature from the cosmological constant is intrinsic, it's just there. With a dark energy case, the negative pressure creates the curvature.
Dark energy (or the cosmological constant) is fundamentally different from the normal metric expansion. You can consider it to be a force exerted everywhere (Because it's a constant). Because of this, it has a slight effect within galaxies. That's why, as George Jones showed, it's factored in for gravitational interactions, although it is far too weak to have a meaningful effect.

[This means the metric expansion of space changes over time; the cosmological constant, is well, constant and I believe, constant in all reference frames.
...the cosmological constant reduces the attractive force of gravity by some small amount. For atoms, this would have the effect of making atoms ever so slightly larger than they otherwise would be (the difference really is utterly negligible, however).

Metric expansion...the acceleration of expansion is based on homogeneous and isotropic model conditions...a uniform cosmos. Since galaxies are not, my understanding is that we do not yet have a model solution that applies to lumpy galactic conditions. Some in these forums seem to take the view that expansion DOES have ever so slight an effect within galaxies. Regardless, 'metric expansion' and cosmological constant effects are different.

1. What is dark matter and dark energy?

Dark matter and dark energy are two of the biggest mysteries in modern astrophysics. Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light or any other form of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes. Dark energy, on the other hand, is a hypothetical form of energy that is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. How do we know that dark matter and dark energy exist?

Scientists have not directly observed dark matter or dark energy, but their existence is inferred through their effects on the visible matter and the expansion of the universe. For example, the rotation curves of galaxies and the gravitational lensing of light from distant galaxies suggest the presence of dark matter. The accelerating expansion of the universe, on the other hand, can be explained by the existence of dark energy.

3. What is the difference between dark matter and dark energy?

Dark matter and dark energy are fundamentally different. Dark matter is a type of matter that has mass and interacts with gravity, while dark energy is a form of energy that has negative pressure and is responsible for the expansion of the universe. They have different effects on the universe and are believed to make up about 85% and 68% of the total matter and energy in the universe, respectively.

4. What are some current theories about dark matter and dark energy?

There are several theories about the nature of dark matter and dark energy, but they are still largely unknown. Some theories propose that dark matter is made up of new, yet to be discovered particles, while others suggest that it could be modifications to the laws of gravity. For dark energy, the most commonly accepted theory is the cosmological constant, which suggests that dark energy is a constant energy density throughout space.

5. How does the study of dark matter and dark energy impact our understanding of the universe?

The study of dark matter and dark energy is crucial in understanding the evolution and structure of the universe. By studying their effects on the visible matter and the expansion of the universe, scientists can gain insight into the formation of galaxies and the overall composition of the universe. Furthermore, a better understanding of these mysterious phenomena could potentially lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of fundamental physics.