by Shyan
Tags: equality, operators
Share this thread:
Shyan
Dec22-12, 02:09 PM
P: 928
Imagine we have two operators A and B on a complex hilbert space H such that:
[itex]
[A,B] \psi = (AB-BA) \psi=c \psi \ \ \ \ \psi \epsilon H \mbox{ and } c \epsilon C
[/itex]
Then can we say that [A,B] is the same as cI when I is the identity operator?Why?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
micromass
Dec22-12, 02:52 PM
Mentor
P: 18,346
Let [itex]T,S:H\rightarrow H[/itex] (if you're working with unbounded operators then things change). By definition, we have

[tex]T=S[/tex]

if and only if

[tex]T\psi = S\psi[/tex]

for all [itex]\psi\in H[/itex].

So yes, in that case we can say [itex][A,B]=cI[/itex].
Shyan
Dec22-12, 02:59 PM
So if we have unbounded operators,we should deal with the domains too?
Let D(I)=H and let one of A and B be unbounded.
What you tell now?
Thanks

Fredrik
Dec22-12, 03:03 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,525
Equality of operators

@micromass: Shyan's questions are motivated by this thread, where there's some discussion about what's wrong with calculations like this one:
Quote Quote by Fredrik View Post
Suppose that [A,B]=cI, where I is the identity operator and c is a complex number.
\begin{align}1 =\frac 1 c \langle a| cI|a\rangle =\frac 1 c \langle a|[A,B]|a\rangle =\frac 1 c \big(\langle a|AB|a\rangle - \langle a|BA|a\rangle\big) =\frac 1 c\big(a^*\langle a|B|a\rangle-a\langle a|B|a\rangle\big)=0.
\end{align} I used that a is real in the last step.
I don't understand the issues well enough (or just haven't thought it through enough) to write down a complete explanation of everything that's going on here, but it's clear that it has something to do with the domains of the operators.
micromass
Dec22-12, 03:25 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Fredrik View Post
@micromass: Shyan's questions are motivated by this thread, where there's some discussion about what's wrong with calculations like this one:

I don't understand the issues well enough (or just haven't thought it through enough) to write down a complete explanation of everything that's going on here, but it's clear that it has something to do with the domains of the operators.
I see. But in that case, [A,B] is only densely defined. So

[tex][A,B]\psi[/tex]

doesn't even make sense for all [itex]\psi \in H[/itex].

And since [itex]I[/itex] is everywhere defined, we can never have [itex][A,B]=cI[/itex]. We can only have [itex][A,B]\subset cI[/itex].
Shyan
Dec22-12, 10:17 PM
Yes,But we can define an identity operator with the same domain as [A,B] and do the calculations.Or we can choose a vector from [A,B]'s domain.So what you say doesn't solve the problem.

P.S.
Ok guys,looks like here's going to be the same discussion as the topic related to that paradox,so I guess you guys may want to lock this one.
micromass
Dec22-12, 10:42 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Shyan View Post
Yes,But we can define an identity operator with the same domain as [A,B] and do the calculations.Or we can choose a vector from [A,B]'s domain.So what you say doesn't solve the problem.
What problem??
It's probably not a good idea to have two threads on the same topic. So I'm going to lock this thread and ask that we discuss this further in the thread that Fredrik linked.

Register to reply