by Felafel
Tags: limit, series, taylor, tricky
Share this thread:
Felafel
Dec22-12, 11:15 AM
P: 171
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

compute the following limit:

## \displaystyle{\lim_{x\to +\infty} x \left((1+\frac{1}{x})^{x} - e \right)} ##

3. The attempt at a solution

i wanted to use the taylor expansion, but didn't know what ##x_0## would be correct, as the x goes to ## \infty##.

also, i tried to use de l'hopital's theorem but it wouldn't work.
how can i do that?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Sdtootle
Dec22-12, 12:36 PM
P: 17
Is it supposed to be e or e^x?
Hurkyl
Dec22-12, 12:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
Surely e; this limit would quantify, to first order, how rapidly [itex](1 + 1/x)^x[/itex] converges to its limit e.

vela
Dec22-12, 02:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,774
Tricky limit. taylor series?

Try rewriting the limit in terms of z=1/x.
pasmith
Dec22-12, 03:51 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 1,008
[tex]x\left(\left(1 + \frac1x\right)^x - e\right) = x\left(\exp\left(x\ln \left(1 + \frac1x\right)\right) - e\right)[/tex]

At this point, one can proceed to substitute the Maclaurin series for [itex]\ln(1 + t)[/itex] with [itex]t = x^{-1}[/itex] (we want the limit as [itex]x \to \infty[/itex], so we can assume [itex]0 < t = x^{-1} < 1[/itex]) to get
[tex]x\ln\left(1 + \frac1x\right) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(n+1)x^n}[/tex]
and then substitute that into the series for [itex]\exp(x)[/itex] to get
[tex]\exp\left(x\ln\left(1 + \frac1x\right)\right) =
\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac1{k!} \left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(n+1)x^n}\right)^k = \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \frac{a_m}{x^m}[/tex]
(everything here is absolutely convergent, so I can add terms in whatever order I want) so that
[tex]x\left(\left(1 + \frac1x\right)^x - e\right) = \left(\sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \frac{a_m}{x^{m-1}} - ex\right) = x(a_0 - e) + a_1 + \sum_{m=2}^{\infty} \frac{a_m}{x^{m-1}}[/tex]
It's clear that the series on the right tends to 0 as [itex]x \to \infty[/itex], so all you need to work out to determine the limit (if any) is [itex]a_0[/itex] and [itex]a_1[/itex]. (You'll need to consider, for each [itex]k[/itex], what the coefficients of [itex]x^0[/itex] and [itex]x^{-1}[/itex] are and add them all together. Actually you can truncate the inner series after [itex]n = 1[/itex], because including [itex]n \geq 2[/itex] doesn't give you any more terms of order [itex]x^0[/itex] and [itex]x^{-1}[/itex] then you already have.

But that is a brute-force method and I'm sure there's a more elegant solution.
SammyS
Dec22-12, 03:52 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,819
Quote Quote by Felafel View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

compute the following limit:

## \displaystyle{\lim_{x\to +\infty} x \left((1+\frac{1}{x})^{x} - e \right)} ##

3. The attempt at a solution

i wanted to use the taylor expansion, but didn't know what ##x_0## would be correct, as the x goes to ## \infty##.

also, i tried to use de l'hopital's theorem but it wouldn't work.
how can i do that?
L'H˘pital's rule works just fine.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(f(x)\right)^x=\frac{d}{dx}e^{x \ln(f(x))}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\left(\ln(f(x))+\frac{x}{f(x)}\right)e^{x \ln(f(x))}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\left(\ln(f(x))+\frac{xf'(x)}{f(x)} \right)\left(f(x)\right)^x[/itex]
Fixed in Edit.
vela
Dec22-12, 04:01 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
Quote Quote by SammyS View Post
L'H˘pital's rule works just fine.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(f(x)\right)^x=\frac{d}{dx}e^{x \ln(f(x))}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\left(\ln(f(x))+\frac{x}{f(x)}\right)e^{x \ln(f(x))}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\left(\ln(f(x))+\frac{x}{f(x)} \right)\left(f(x)\right)^x[/itex]
You forgot to apply the chain rule when differentiating ln(f(x)).
SammyS
Dec22-12, 04:55 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,819
Quote Quote by vela View Post
you forgot to apply the chain rule when differentiating ln(f(x)).
DUH !

Thank you vela !
Felafel
Dec23-12, 03:30 AM
what if i use the taylor series for ##x_0=1##?
it should become:
##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty}\ x [(2+(x-1)log(4)-1+o((x-1)^2)-e] = \infty * \infty = \infty ##

is it correct?
vela
Dec23-12, 03:37 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
Nope
Felafel
Dec23-12, 04:01 AM
..maybe it was just de l'hospital then, does this look ok to you?

##\displaystyle \lim{x \to \infty}\ \frac{1}{\frac{1}{x}} ((1+ \frac{1}{x})^x-e) = \frac{0}{0}##
using de l'hopital
##\displaystyle \lim{x \to \infty}\ \frac{1}{\frac{-1}{x^2}} (x(1+\frac{1}{x})^{x-1}*\frac{-1}{x^2}##
which is
## = \infty * \frac{e}{1+0} = \infty ##
vela
Dec23-12, 04:25 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
You didn't differentiate correctly. See post #6. You should get a finite answer.
Felafel
Dec23-12, 08:08 AM
i can't solve it with derivatives. i eep using de l'hopital but it gets worse and worse.
i thought i could split it into:
##\displaystyle \lim x \to \infty\ x(1+1/x)^x - \displaystyle \lim x \to \infty\ xe ##
and use taylor series for x=0 of the second part, which becomes:
##x*\displaystyle\sum\limits_{k=0}^n \frac{1}{k!} ##
however, i can't figure out the series of the first part
vela
Dec23-12, 12:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
You don't want to use a Taylor series about x=0. You want to be able to neglect high-order terms which you can't because the limit is for ##x \to \infty##.

Why don't you try my suggestion of rewriting the limit in terms of z=1/x? It'll make applying L'Hopital's more straightforward, and because the limit will be for ##z \to 0##, you can use a Taylor series about ##z=0## if necessary.
Felafel
Dec30-12, 03:01 PM
okay, I think I've solved it:
##\lim_{y \to 0}\frac{(1+y)^{\frac{1}{y}}-e}{y}=\lim_{y \to 0} \frac{e^{\frac{1}{y}log(1+y)}-e}{y}##
I find the Maclaurin extension for log(1+y), stopping at the third power

##log(1+y)=y-\frac{y^2}{2}+\frac{y^3}{3}##

##\displaystyle{\lim_{y \to 0} \frac{e^{1-\frac{y}{2}-\frac{y^2}{3}}-e }{y}}(=\frac{0}{0})##

## \stackrel{\text{H}}{=} \displaystyle{ \lim_{y \to 0} (-\frac{1}{2}+2\frac{y}{3})e^{1-\frac{y}{2}+\frac{y^2}{2}}}##

##=-\frac{e}{2}##

should be ok now
Dick
Dec30-12, 03:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,228
Yes, that's ok now. There's a couple of what are obviously just typos. But nothing important.

Register to reply