Register to reply

What is the hardest thing for you to wrap your brain around

by uperkurk
Tags: brain, hardest, thing, wrap
Share this thread:
uperkurk
Dec26-12, 09:16 AM
P: 159
Maybe the sheer size of the universe? The speed at which light travels? The size of a quark?

Out of all the things in the universe, what is hardest for you to possibly imagine, as long as it's generally accepted it doesn't have to be proven.

For me it's both the size of the universe and the size of a quark. I mean, sitting here trying to wrap my head around how something can be so unbelievably large, yet also thinking how something can be so unbelievably tiny.

Kind of ironic a little bit, how something like a solar system is similar to an atom even though their sizes vary beyond belief.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
leroyjenkens
Dec26-12, 10:10 AM
P: 536
I used to have a problem with infinity. I kept using it like it was a number.
For example, I couldn't understand that the amount of numbers between both 0 and 1 and 0 and 2 were both the same.
Dadface
Dec26-12, 01:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,009
My brain.

Pythagorean
Dec26-12, 04:20 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,262
What is the hardest thing for you to wrap your brain around

I haven't quite wrapped my brain around it yet.
drizzle
Dec26-12, 04:33 PM
PF Gold
P: 525
The structure of the human eye and how the process of vision functions, and then dreams.
Jimmy Snyder
Dec26-12, 04:45 PM
P: 2,179
Diamond.
NemoReally
Dec26-12, 05:04 PM
P: 194
What is the hardest thing for me to wrap my brain around? Has to have to been a tarmac road surface ... well, I suppose wrapping my skull around the road and my brain around the inside of my skull is technically more accurate.

Other than that it is probably why anything exists at all (and, please, do not try and expound some hypothesis involving quantum theory and zero point energy fluctuations ... such hypotheses presuppose the existence of a quantum field and so on)
ImaLooser
Dec27-12, 05:29 AM
P: 570
The Riemann Hypothesis. I don't understand it.

But I'm not even very good at differential equations.
MarneMath
Dec27-12, 05:33 AM
P: 439
The platypus. Need I say more?
julcab12
Dec27-12, 05:54 AM
P: 148
Women...
uperkurk
Dec27-12, 07:04 AM
P: 159
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Diamond.
Why diamonds?
tahayassen
Dec27-12, 07:07 AM
P: 273
Quote Quote by leroyjenkens View Post
I used to have a problem with infinity. I kept using it like it was a number.
For example, I couldn't understand that the amount of numbers between both 0 and 1 and 0 and 2 were both the same.
Aren't some infinities larger than other infinities?
Jack21222
Dec27-12, 07:29 AM
P: 772
Quote Quote by tahayassen View Post
Aren't some infinities larger than other infinities?
In a way, yes, that's what Cantor demonstrated in the late 1800s.

If you took the number of numbers in between 0-1 and divided it by the number of numbers between 0-2, you should get 1/2.

Let x be the number of numbers between 0-1. There are an equal number of numbers between 0-1 and between 1-2, so the number of numbers between 0-2 is x + x, or 2x. So you have x/2x, and even if x is infinity, they cancel (they're the same infinity).

I'm sure mathematicians will murder me for doing it that way, since I probably did all kinds of things wrong, but I think that's the general idea.
OmCheeto
Dec27-12, 08:14 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,420
Quote Quote by uperkurk View Post
Why diamonds?
Jimmy Snyder
Dec27-12, 08:23 AM
P: 2,179
Why diamonds?
Hard to say.
tahayassen
Dec27-12, 09:50 AM
P: 273
Why diamonds?
Jimmy Snyder likes to joke a lot. Diamonds are extremely hard. His post above mine is also a pun.
The Jericho
Dec27-12, 10:55 AM
P: 21
How and if an inverse tangent function "jumps" from positive infinity to negative infinity.
EricVT
Dec27-12, 12:55 PM
P: 163
Memory.

How tiny chemical reactions and electrical signals can conjure up such vivid memories from 20+ years ago amazes me. Occasionally I have a dream that has been recurring since I was 7-8 years old (currently 27 years old), and it just fascinates me to think about what all is stored in our brain and how some of it surfaces when you least expect it.

Register to reply