Register to reply

Theoretical or Experimental Applied Physics?

Share this thread:
ElectricC
Dec26-12, 04:01 PM
P: 11
Hello everyone,

I'm considering becoming an Applied Physicist. I just need some help. Here are the questions I would like answered.

-What would a Theoretical Applied Physicist research?

-What would a Experimental Applied Physicist research?

-Which one would have more of a likely hood of working in research at a university?

-Which one would have more of a likely hood of becoming a professor and having research on the side?

Thank you :)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
mfb
Dec26-12, 04:37 PM
Mentor
P: 11,890
Out of curiosity: What is a "Theoretical Applied Physicist"?
Google just gives 12 hits, 5 of them are some obscure non-english text, some sites list them as two different options and the first hit I see is this thread (google is quick!).

Do you have any specific field in mind, if you consider "applied physics"? Physics is applied in many different fields.
clope023
Dec26-12, 04:47 PM
P: 618
Quote Quote by ElectricC View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm considering becoming an Applied Physicist. I just need some help. Here are the questions I would like answered.

-What would a Theoretical Applied Physicist research?

-What would a Experimental Applied Physicist research?

-Which one would have more of a likely hood of working in research at a university?

-Which one would have more of a likely hood of becoming a professor and having research on the side?

Thank you :)
google applied physics research, standford, columbia, utexas, ucolorado, umichigan have full on phd programs under the name applied physics; they tend to be experimental condensed matter and nuclear physics and they mix with engineering but there's lots of other areas.

ElectricC
Dec26-12, 08:31 PM
Theoretical or Experimental Applied Physics?

I was looking at Caltech's website and it said they have courses for both. So, it could just mean Applied Physics is put into one category?
ElectricC
Dec26-12, 08:50 PM
I just looked further into this..Yeah, Applied Physics is both Theoretical and Experimental it seems.
Rolen
Jan29-13, 04:49 PM
PF Gold
P: 23
Quote Quote by ElectricC View Post
I just looked further into this..Yeah, Applied Physics is both Theoretical and Experimental it seems.
Under my conception applied physics is more like physic engineering.
There're 3 division: theoretical, experimental and applied.
ModusPwnd
Jan29-13, 04:53 PM
P: 1,067
I see it more as a two dimensional space. One dimension is spanned by "Pure"/Applied. The other is spanned by Theoretical/Experimental. Each research project has its own value for how pure vs applied it is and for how theoretical vs experimental it is. There is theoretical applied physics and there is also experimental pure physics, and of course the other common combinations as well.

Register to reply