Plotting the polarization ellipse

by patmyer1
Tags: ellipse, plotting, polarization
patmyer1
Dec27-12, 09:10 AM
P: 3
Hello,
I am tasked with plotting the polarization state of a laser (basically I've made a polarimeter), but I really have no idea where to go at this point. Below is a sample of the program I have written with some real data that I just took from a laser. I have the intensity profile as a function of the rotational angle of a linear polarizing sheet that I am driving with a motor.

How do I go from the intensity values as a function of the rotational angle of the polarizer to the polarization ellipse plot?

Any help would be doing me a huge favor and would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Sample data.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
mfb
Dec27-12, 09:52 AM
Mentor
P: 10,774
Do you know the relation between intensity and amplitude? This way, you get the relation angle/amplitude, which can be plotted with your favorite plotting tool.
patmyer1
Dec27-12, 09:59 AM
So if I simply take the square root of the intensity value as a function of time I can plot that against rotational angle in a polar plot?

patmyer1
Dec27-12, 10:03 AM

Plotting the polarization ellipse

I also have a quarter wave plate to distinguish between right and left circular polarization, but I am unclear on how to go about that also. This is a project for my work, and I am simply not up to speed on the requisite optics background to finish it is all. Thanks for any help!
mfb
Dec27-12, 10:10 AM
Mentor
P: 10,774
Quote Quote by patmyer1 View Post
So if I simply take the square root of the intensity value as a function of time I can plot that against rotational angle in a polar plot?
As a function of angle not time, right.

With a quarter wave plate, you could check the direction of rotation of the field - find out if you have more clockwise or more ccw polarized light.

Register to reply