Optics - Re-aligning P Polarization with Brewster Windows

The attenuator consists of two enhanced ZnSe Brewster windows that rotate to realign polarization. Steve has attached calculations accounting for refractive indexes and transmission coefficients. His objective is to formulate an expression for the second window's angle in relation to the first window's angle to realign polarization. He is seeking help with this problem. In summary, Steve is an optical engineer seeking help with formulating an expression for the angle of the second Brewster window in relation to the first window to realign polarization.
SteveeGeorge
Hi all,

I have a problem, and in need of some help.

I am an optical engineer, currently designing an attentuator for near infrared lasers (10.6μm). The attenuator consists of two enhanced ZnSe Brewster windows that rotate in opposite directions and different angles to exactly re-align polarization.

I have attached my calculations as images, so to display each step of my workings. I have accounted for the refractive indexes and transmission coefficients of both brewster windows. My objective is to formulate an expression for the 2nd brewster window angle in respects to the 1st brewster window angle to perfectly realign the P polarization, which I have taken to be in the X direction:

Scan0017.jpg

Here is the coordinate transforms and the transmission of the first Brewster windows (internal and external surfaces).

Scan0018.jpg

After calculating the final transmission of both windows, I assumed that since the angle of polarization is respective to x direction, the J component equates to zero (Re-alignment).

How do I formulate an expression for theta2, respective to theta1?

If anyone could shine some light on my problem, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

-Steve

Attachments

• Scan0019.jpg
    Scan0019.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 532
  • Scan0020.jpg
    Scan0020.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Problem Solved / Thread closed

-Steve

What is optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that studies the properties and behavior of light, including its interactions with matter and its manipulation and detection.

What is P polarization?

P polarization, also known as parallel polarization, is a type of light polarization where the electric field is oriented parallel to the surface of the medium it is traveling through.

What are Brewster windows?

Brewster windows are optical components that are used to control the polarization of light. They are made of a dielectric material with a specific angle of incidence to allow only one polarization state to pass through.

How do Brewster windows realign P polarization?

When light passes through a Brewster window at its specific angle of incidence, the P polarization is transmitted with minimal reflection, while the S polarization is reflected. This causes the P polarization to be realigned, allowing it to be used in various optical applications.

What are the applications of realigning P polarization with Brewster windows?

Brewster windows are commonly used in laser systems, optical filters, and polarizing components to select and control the polarization of light. They are also used in telecommunications, microscopy, and other scientific and industrial applications where precise control of light polarization is required.