Register to reply

How to integrate this partial differential equation

Share this thread:
JulieK
Dec28-12, 10:14 AM
P: 40
I have the following equation

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(m\frac{dy}{dx}\right)=0[/itex]

where [itex]y[/itex] is a function of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] is a function of [itex]y[/itex]. If I integrate this equation first with respect to [itex]y[/itex] should I get a function of [itex]x[/itex] as the constant of integration (say [itex]C\left(x\right)[/itex]) or it is just a constant? If it is a function, how can I then find its form (e.g. polynomial, etc.)? Should I use boundary conditions or I can decide about the form from inspecting the type of the equation.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
kevinferreira
Dec28-12, 10:24 AM
P: 123
Yes, you should have
[tex]
m(y)\frac{dy}{dx}=C(x)
[/tex]
And therefore you can solve it by
[tex]
m(y)dy=C(x)dx
[/tex]
Which you can integrate.
haruspex
Dec28-12, 07:22 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,783
Quote Quote by JulieK View Post
how can I then find its form (e.g. polynomial, etc.)? Should I use boundary conditions or I can decide about the form from inspecting the type of the equation.
You'll have to use boundary conditions. There's nothing in the equation that gives a clue about the form of C(x).

Register to reply