Equations -maximum

by Numeriprimi
Tags: equation, maximum, real
Share this thread:
Numeriprimi
Dec28-12, 08:25 AM
P: 138
Hey!
I found one difficult equation for me...
It is:
Valid for real numbers a, b, c, d:
a + b = c + d
ad = bc
ac + bd = 1
What is the maximum of a+b+c+d?

And DON'T SAY wolfram, really no wolfram... I used it and it isn't good.
So... have you got any idea?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Michael Redei
Dec28-12, 08:41 AM
P: 181
Add ##a##c to both sides of the second equation, and you get
$$
ad + ac = ac + bc
\iff
a(c+d) = (a+b)c = (c+d)c.
$$
One possibility now would be ##c+d=0##, but then you'd also have ##a+b=0##, and so ##a+b+c+d=0##. So suppose ##c+d\neq0##, then ##a=c##, and from the first equation you also have ##b=d##.

Now you're really left with only two unknowns, which you can use in the third equation to make ##a+b+c+d=2a+2b## minimal.
Numeriprimi
Dec28-12, 10:59 AM
P: 138
Hmm... Sorry, bud I don't understand last line. Ok, a+b+c+d=2a+2b, yes, but how I find numerical value of a+b+c+d in second variant?

Michael Redei
Dec28-12, 12:09 PM
P: 181
Equations -maximum

Your third equation says ##ac+bd=1##, i.e. ##a^2+b^2=1##, so if you assume ##b\geq0## (since you want ##2a+2b## to be maximal), you get ##b=\sqrt{1-a^2}##. This means you need to find a value ##a## for which ##2a+2b = 2a+2\sqrt{1-a^2}## is maximal.

Do you know how to find such an ##a##?

Register to reply