What is a Major Average in Physics?

• Thread starter M. next
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Application
In summary: Some people told me it is only your physics courses, I really don't know.. Null_, what do you study? Are you an undergrad? You must not be from the USA. :wink:
M. next
In physics, I know what is a total average. But the question is what is a Major average??
Does it include Physics courses only? Or with some Maths courses?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
My school calculates major average based only on the courses in our major. In applying for summer programs, I have put that as my major GPA, so in your case, I believe it should be just physics courses. If it is different from this, then I will be happy. I'm just a junior though, so I have no experience with grad school apps yet. I would wait for someone with definite knowledge to answer before filling it in. Best of luck!

Thank you dear, I will wait to get an assured reply.

In the USA, the "major average" usually includes all the courses that are required for the student's major (as opposed to general-education courses that all students must take, or general elective courses that are not part of the major). A physics major normally requires some math courses (calculus, differential equations, etc.) and perhaps some chemistry or computer science or whatever. Those courses would be included in the "major average".

Thank you

Now I'm curious..

My major GPA will be listed on my transcript as calculated just from my major's courses. Other courses are required for my major, including some math, chemistry, and physics courses. If I include these, my major GPA would be higher. Should I list my major GPA as it is listed on my transcript, or should I calculate it how it seems everyone else does?

I am lost. As a physics major, I study physics, maths, chemistry, computer science.
As our friend above mentioned that all of these must be included.
So practically this will be my total score.
Some people told me it is only your physics courses, I really don't know..

Null_, what do you study? Are you an undergrad?

You must not be from the USA. :wink:

In the USA, we distinguish between "major GPA" and "total or overall GPA" in bachelor's degree programs because they usually include many courses outside the major field, which are often called "general education" or "distribution" courses. At the college where I work, a physics major takes physics, math, chemistry and computer science courses as part of the major. He or she also takes English, history, religion, social sciences, music/art, etc. as part of the general education requirements.

Most other countries' universities don't do this. For them, there is no distinction between "major GPA" and "overall GPA." Graduate-school admissions people in the USA know about this, so I wouldn't worry about it. Simply put down your overall GPA if that's the only GPA your academic transcript shows.

Oh okay, I see. Thanks for the clarification

M. next said:
I am lost. As a physics major, I study physics, maths, chemistry, computer science.
As our friend above mentioned that all of these must be included.
So practically this will be my total score.
Some people told me it is only your physics courses, I really don't know..

Ask your Physics department.

One might believe that the major average is the average of only your major subject courses (your Physics courses); the belief may be incorrect.

M. next said:
Null_, what do you study? Are you an undergrad?

I'm an undergrad in chemical engineering in the US.

Ok, will check. Null_, you do too.

1. How do I fill in an application?

Filling in an application typically involves providing personal information, education and work experience, and answering specific questions related to the job or program. You may also need to attach a resume and cover letter. It is important to carefully read and follow the instructions provided by the application.

2. Can I save my progress and come back to finish the application later?

Many online applications allow you to save your progress and come back to it at a later time. Look for a "Save" or "Save and Continue" button within the application. If you are filling out a paper application, you may need to ask for an extra copy to complete at a later time.

3. What documents do I need to have on hand when filling out an application?

It is helpful to have your resume, cover letter, and any other relevant documents (such as transcripts or portfolio) ready to upload or reference while filling out the application. You may also need to provide personal identification, such as a driver's license or social security number.

4. How long does it typically take to fill out an application?

The time it takes to fill out an application can vary depending on the complexity of the application and the amount of information required. It is a good idea to set aside at least an hour to carefully and accurately complete the application.

5. Can I make changes to my application after submitting it?

Once an application is submitted, it is often difficult or impossible to make changes. It is important to review your application carefully before submitting it to ensure all information is accurate and complete. If you do need to make changes, you may need to contact the organization directly to see if it is possible.