Cloud Chamber Solvents: Identifying Mystery Liquid

In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of a purple, flammable liquid in a cloud chamber and its possible cause. It is believed to be a result of solventing between isopropyl alcohol and difluroethane. The speaker also mentions using a jar with a metal top and a sponge attached to it, which may have caused the purple liquid to appear due to air leaks. However, when a new cloud chamber was made with sheet metal and a plastic box, the purple liquid did not appear. The conversation ends with a question about why the purple liquid only appeared in the chamber with air leaks.
Thundagere
I recently observed a liquid pooling at the bottom of my cloud chamber. It was purple in color and rather odd. It was certainly flammable, which leads me to believe that it was a result of solventing between the supersaturated alcohol and the canned air used for my chamber.
http://imageshack.us/a/img525/7906/20121122131134.th.jpg
I'm not quite sure what it is. I know that it was probably a combination of the Isopropyl alcohol and the difluroethane, but I'm not sure on this. Could anyone help me out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Does your cloud chamber have a dark background paper?

THe one that I was using had the pain spray painted onto it. It was essentially a jar, with a metal top. The sponge was attached to the metal, and the outside bottom of the jar was spray painted black.
Incidentally, I found out that one had air leaks. I made a new one with sheet metal and a plastic box. The purple liquid did not appear.

Perhaps the purple is something extracted from the sponge.

But why would it only be extracted from the sponge in an air leak? In the good one, nothing showed up.

1. What is a cloud chamber solvent?

A cloud chamber solvent is a liquid used in a cloud chamber, a device used to visualize subatomic particles. It is typically a clear liquid with a low boiling point and high vapor pressure.

2. How does a cloud chamber solvent help in identifying mystery liquids?

A cloud chamber solvent creates a supersaturated environment in the chamber, allowing any particles or ions present in the mystery liquid to form visible trails. By analyzing the shape and direction of these trails, scientists can determine the properties of the mystery liquid.

3. What are some commonly used cloud chamber solvents?

Some commonly used cloud chamber solvents include isopropyl alcohol, acetone, and methanol. These solvents have low boiling points and high vapor pressures, making them ideal for creating a supersaturated environment in the chamber.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using cloud chamber solvents?

Yes, it is important to handle cloud chamber solvents with caution as they are highly flammable and can be harmful if ingested or inhaled. It is recommended to use them in a well-ventilated area and to wear appropriate protective gear.

5. Can any liquid be used as a cloud chamber solvent?

No, not all liquids can be used as cloud chamber solvents. The liquid must have a low boiling point and high vapor pressure to create a supersaturated environment in the chamber. It should also be transparent and free of impurities to avoid interfering with the visualization of particle trails.