Asteroids zooming past Saturn?

In summary, the author tested a new observational rig and found that it could detect nearby asteroids with a solar orbit that matched the Earth's rotation. The author hypothesizes that the 2 objects he saw were space debris from a previous launch.
PhilDSP
After waiting about 10 days for clear weather last night and this morning I spent several hours testing a new observational rig: a very heavy high power set of binoculars mounted on a heavy tripod with a geared turret. Conditions were good: clear, still and cold (-4 degrees C) but with some frozen moisture from the ocean reflecting the light of the full moon just above the Western horizon.

I was just able to detect Titan, Saturn's moon and double checked with this Java Applet that where I saw it was it's actual position
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/javascript/saturn_moons#

But as I was scanning to find Titan, I saw nearby what looked like 2 very faint points of light that I first thought were stars. After a minute I could detect movement in relation to Saturn so I then thought one was a satellite. But watching further, they both moved in tandem in relation to the planet as if Saturn were traversing the background field of stars at the approximate speed of the rotation of the Earth.

The reasonable explanation must be that they are asteroids with a solar orbit that roughly matches the Earth's rotation when viewed from our position. But they were so close together (about 5 minutes of arc) that I would think there would be some gravitational locking.

This occurred about 5:30 GMT. Comments?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
If they were asteroids, it is very unlikely that they are not gravitationally bound to sun. This gives a maximal velocity of ~80km/s relative to Earth (where values above 50km/s are quite unlikely). To get a (true) angular velocity of 2pi/(24 hours), this corresponds to a maximal distance of 1.1 million km. Quite close, and I would expect that those objects would appear in some sky survey.

I don't know the quality of your binoculars and your point of view - geostationary satellites would give a natural explanation for the apparent motion of the objects.
(distance to titan)/(radius of titan)=600 000, in the geostationary orbit this would correspond to a radius of ~60m. Taking the different distance to sun into account, an object with a diameter of ~6m and the same albedo would appear as bright as Titan. Satellites are smaller, but they can be more reflective. In addition, the objects you saw are fainter than Titan. Might be possible to see them.

Interesting figures. I'd say the 2 objects were about 1 magnitude higher in brightness than Titan but not as bright as Jupiter's moons which looked very beautiful the previous night and moved also from minute to minute as Io and Ganymede were close together and near to Jupiter.

It would seem odd that 2 geostationary satellites would be so close to one another. They could have been space debris of some kind possibly.

The binos are the Skymaster 30-125x80 by the way. The turret is the Manfrotto 405. I think the less expensive Manfrotto 410 would work fine too but I was lucky enough to find a used 405 which should be more durable. So far I'm very excited with the viewing that is possible, but really hanker after something outrageous like 600x160 binos as opposed to a telescope. Stereoscopic vision makes a large difference IMO.

Last edited:
To have visibly moved relative to saturn in such a short period of time, they had to be much nearer Earth than saturn.

Geosync satellites can look pretty close in the sky. I've got a GIF I made that shows three of them, all within about 5-10 arcsecs of each other moving past the Orion Nebula. Now if I could just find that GIF...

I think it is possible that you may have seen the TanDEM-X satellites in orbit. They fly very close together, between 250-500 meters! There are quite a few, twin and other multiple configurations flying in space. If you ever see such a thing again, make note of the time and go to the Heavens-Above homepage and enter your latitude and longitude. It will tell you exactly what was in the sky at the time. Even better get a prediction print out and spend an evening hunting them down.
http://www.heavens-above.com/
http://now.uiowa.edu/2012/08/ui-instruments-aboard-twin-nasa- spacecraft -set-launch-aug-24
http://www.dlr.de/hr/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-2317/
https://tandemx-science.dlr.de/
http://www.dlr.de/hr/en/Portaldata/32/Resources/images/tdmx/TanDEM-X-new_200x135.jpg
Here is an image of some NASA "tandem satellites" the twin satelites of the (RBSP) mission
launchedlast year.

Attachments

• TanDEM-X-new_200x135.jpg
    TanDEM-X-new_200x135.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 324
  • 705998main1_RBSP1280-670.jpg
    705998main1_RBSP1280-670.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:

1. What are asteroids and why are they zooming past Saturn?

Asteroids are small, rocky objects that orbit around the sun. They are remnants from the formation of our solar system. Asteroids zooming past Saturn are part of the asteroid belt located between Mars and Jupiter. They are constantly moving and can sometimes pass by other planets on their journey around the sun.

2. How big are the asteroids zooming past Saturn?

The size of asteroids can vary greatly, but those zooming past Saturn are typically between a few meters to several kilometers in diameter. Some may even be as large as a small moon.

3. Are these asteroids a threat to Saturn or its moons?

No, these asteroids are not a threat to Saturn or its moons. Saturn's strong gravitational pull and its large size make it a natural shield against any potential impacts. Additionally, Saturn's moons are much smaller than the planet itself, making them less likely to be impacted by passing asteroids.

4. How often do asteroids zoom past Saturn?

Asteroids are constantly moving and passing by Saturn, but the frequency can vary. Some may pass by every few months, while others may only come close to Saturn once every few years. It ultimately depends on the trajectory of the asteroid and its distance from Saturn.

5. What can studying these asteroids tell us about the solar system?

Studying these asteroids can give us insight into the formation and evolution of our solar system. By analyzing their composition and structure, we can learn more about the materials that were present during the early stages of our solar system. Additionally, studying the paths of these asteroids can help us better understand the dynamics of our solar system and the forces that govern its movements.