can't understand why work done on a spring is given by .5fx^2

by deliciousiron
Tags: 5fx2, spring, work
deliciousiron
Dec31-12, 10:00 AM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
"a metal wire of diameter .23mm and unstretched length 1.405 is suspended vertically from a fixed point. when a 40n weight was suspended from the lower end of the wire, the wire stretched by an extension of 10.5mm. calculate the work done on the spring."

i know the formula for work done on a spring, but i do not understand why it's given by half of the force. the 40n's force is constant, so why do i need to half it?
why isn't it just force*distance/40*(10.5*10^-3)??
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
mfb
Dec31-12, 10:03 AM
Mentor
P: 10,840
why it's given by half of the average force.
It is the full average force.
It is half the maximal force.

the 40n's force is constant, so why do i need to half it.
This is the maximal force (=the force at equilibrium, where it holds the object).
deliciousiron
Dec31-12, 10:08 AM
P: 2
yea, that was a typo.

but i don't understand why the 40n's weight _isn't_ constant

mfb
Dec31-12, 10:45 AM
Mentor
P: 10,840

can't understand why work done on a spring is given by .5fx^2

It is assumed that the spring satisfies Hooke's law, so the force (at a specific point) is proportional to the stretch (at that specific point).
The weight is constant, but the force required to extend the spring is not.
HallsofIvy
Dec31-12, 11:50 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,894
For a constant force, F, moving an object over a distance x, the work done is Fx. For a varying force, you can divide it into "infinitesmal" segments, treat the force as if it were a constant over each segment, and sum. In the limit that gives the integral [itex]\int F(x)dx[/itex]. If you haven't taken Calculus yet, I'm afraid that won't make much sense but if you have then you know that [tex]\int F(x)dx= \int kx dx= (k/2)x^2[/tex].
Chestermiller
Dec31-12, 12:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 4,499
First you stretch out the spring, then you attach the weight. If you just let the weight drop, it will move up and down, and exhibit simple harmonic motion. At the midway point of the motion, the force of the spring will be kx, and its elastic energy will be 0.5kx2.
BruceW
Dec31-12, 12:46 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,338
Quote Quote by deliciousiron View Post
i know the formula for work done on a spring, but i do not understand why it's given by half of the force. the 40n's force is constant, so why do i need to half it?
why isn't it just force*distance/40*(10.5*10^-3)??
There are two forces acting on the mass in this situation 1) the force due to gravity 2) the 'contact' force due to the spring. You are totally correct that the work done against gravity is 40N times the distance. But they wanted you to calculate the work done against the spring, not against gravity.

Edit: Actually, you need to decide what you think the question is asking (It is not completely clear). As I think Chestermiller was saying, the question is either asking what is the energy stored in the spring, if someone pulled the spring down far enough that when the mass is attached, it doesn't oscillate. OR the question is saying if you simply attach the mass to the spring, then what is the max amount of energy which will be contained in the spring (since the system is oscillating).

Register to reply