Work done by a force on a spring

In summary: Thanks for the expansion of the explanation @haruspex , I really shouldn't be so lazy with my replies :sorry:In summary, the unstretched length of a spring with a spring constant of 250 N/m is 20 cm. When a force of F is applied to stretch the spring to a length of 24 cm, the work done by the force is 0.2 Nm. This can be calculated using the equation F = k * delta x, where delta x is the change in spring length. However, if the force is not constant, we must use the integral of force over distance to calculate the work done.
kolleamm

Homework Statement

The unstretched length of a spring with 'k' = 250 N/m is 20 cm. A force 'F' is applied to stretch it to a length of 24 cm. How much work was done by 'F'?

Answer : 0.2 Nm

Homework Equations

F = k * delta x
Work = F * delta x

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
change in spring length is 4cm = 0.04m
F = 250 N/m * (0.04m)

F = 10 N/m

Work = 10 N/m * 0.04m = 0.4

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Consider whether or not the force remained constant throughout the stretching of the spring.

gneill said:
Hint: Consider whether or not the force remained constant throughout the stretching of the spring.
ah your referring to gravity?

kolleamm said:
ah your referring to gravity?
No, say the spring was horizontal on a frictionless surface and anchored at one end. Now you start pulling on the free end to stretch it. Initally the force required is zero since the spring starts out relaxed. By the time you reach 4 cm of stretch, how much force is required? How about at somewhere between those two points?

gneill said:
No, say the spring was horizontal on a frictionless surface and anchored at one end. Now you start pulling on the free end to stretch it. Initally the force required is zero since the spring starts out relaxed. By the time you reach 4 cm of stretch, how much force is required? How about at somewhere between those two points?
Ah I see, I did the integral of the force from 0 to 0.04 and I got the answer.

int 0 : 0.04 , 250x = 250/2(x^2)
125 (0.04)^2 = 0.2

Although I'm still unsure why the integral of force equals the work done

kolleamm said:
work = force x distance

You integrated the force over the distance. ##Work = \int \, F\, dx##

kolleamm said:
"Work=force x distance" is only valid when the force is constant over the distance. (If it were not, how would you know which value of the force to use?)
If the force is varying we can break the distance into small pieces, ds, and take the force to be approximately constant over each. For each piece, the work done is approximately the product F(s).ds. Adding these up and taking the limit as we make the pieces smaller and smaller yields the integral ∫F.ds.

Likes gneill
Thanks for the expansion of the explanation @haruspex , I really shouldn't be so lazy with my replies :sorry:

1. What is work done by a force on a spring?

The work done by a force on a spring is a measure of the energy transferred to or from the spring as a result of the applied force. It can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the spring in the direction of the force.

2. How is work done by a force on a spring related to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force required to stretch or compress a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring. This means that the work done by a force on a spring is also directly proportional to the displacement, as the force and displacement are directly related in Hooke's Law.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work done by a force on a spring?

The unit of measurement for work done is the joule (J). This is the same unit used to measure energy and is equivalent to a force of one newton applied over a distance of one meter.

4. Can the work done by a force on a spring be negative?

Yes, the work done by a force on a spring can be negative if the force and displacement are in opposite directions. This indicates that the energy is being removed from the spring rather than added to it.

5. What factors affect the work done by a force on a spring?

The work done by a force on a spring is affected by the magnitude of the force, the displacement of the spring, and the angle between the force and displacement vectors. It is also affected by the stiffness of the spring, as a stiffer spring will require more force to produce the same amount of displacement.