Understanding Tangential Acceleration in Circular Motion

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of tangential acceleration and its relevance to a toy car moving along a loop of radius R. The tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is in the direction of motion and acts tangentially to the path of the object. It can be calculated using the equations a=alpha*r or a=dv/dt when r is constant. The presence of gravity and its effects on the tangential acceleration at different points on the loop were also discussed.
heartyface
*I am reposting as I previously posted this in the wrong category.

Homework Statement

Perhaps I am confused by the concept.
A toy car starts from rest at a height 4R above the ground and continue to a loop of radius R (frictionless). At a point C (height R from the ground) inside the loop, what is the tangential acceleration of the toy car?

Homework Equations

I don't think a=alpha*r is quite relevant to this...or a=dv/dt...

The Attempt at a Solution

not quite yet. perhaps the gravity is the only thing?

Please, explain me of the concept of 'tangential acceleration' and its components.

Physics news on Phys.org
heartyface said:
*I am reposting as I previously posted this in the wrong category.

Homework Statement

Perhaps I am confused by the concept.
A toy car starts from rest at a height 4R above the ground and continue to a loop of radius R (frictionless). At a point C (height R from the ground) inside the loop, what is the tangential acceleration of the toy car?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

not quite yet. perhaps the gravity is the only thing?

Please, explain me of the concept of 'tangential acceleration' and its components.
'Tangential acceleration' is the component of acceleration that is in the direction of the motion, i.e., it's in the direction tangential to the path which the object is taking. It can also be said that it is the component of acceleration that is in the direction of the velocity vector.

Do you have a diagram to the question that you can attach?

hi heartyface! :smile:

to add to what SammyS has said …
heartyface said:

… for constant r, both are correct! :wink:

(yes, it really is that simple! :biggrin:)

SammyS said:
'Tangential acceleration' is the component of acceleration that is in the direction of the motion, i.e., it's in the direction tangential to the path which the object is taking. It can also be said that it is the component of acceleration that is in the direction of the velocity vector.
Does that mean gravity, of which according to the diagram shows that the car is moving 'vertically' at that moment, is also a part of the tangential acceleration?

Mr. Warlock- here it is
KKHqt.png

Tiny Tim- really? how would I use such equations in this problem?

heartyface said:
Does that mean gravity, of which according to the diagram shows that the car is moving 'vertically' at that moment, is also a part of the tangential acceleration?

attachment.php?attachmentid=54382&stc=1&d=1357063621.png
Yes, the acceleration due to gravity is very involved.

Draw a free body diagram for the car at point C.

What force besides gravity, if any, is acting in the vertical direction, on the car at point C ?

Attachments

• KKHqt.png
    KKHqt.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 555
heartyface said:

no, acceleration (like distance and speed) is geometry :smile:

(and force is physics, and gravity is a force)
Tiny Tim- really? how would I use such equations in this problem?

presumably you'll be finding either θ or ω as a function of t …

so differentiate to find α, then multiply by R :wink:

I see, thanks guys, but what if
6gfBT.png
?
What will the tangential acceleration be at each points?
At C, it is mere g acting against the motion of the car
At A, it is g acting in favor of the motion of the car.
However, and B and D, g is not in the direction in the tangential motion- does that mean there is no tangential acceleration at points B and D?

heartyface said:
I see, thanks guys, but what if
6gfBT.png
?
What will the tangential acceleration be at each points?
At C, it is mere g acting against the motion of the car
At A, it is g acting in favor of the motion of the car.
However, and B and D, g is not in the direction in the tangential motion- does that mean there is no tangential acceleration at points B and D?
I would say more explicitly that the tangential acceleration at points B and D is zero.

^ I see, that clears it up. thanks Sammy :)

1. What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's tangential velocity. It measures how quickly the direction and magnitude of an object's velocity is changing.

2. How is tangential acceleration different from centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is parallel to an object's tangential velocity, while centripetal acceleration is the component of acceleration that is perpendicular to an object's tangential velocity. In other words, tangential acceleration affects the speed of an object, while centripetal acceleration affects the direction of an object's motion.

3. What is the formula for calculating tangential acceleration?

The formula for tangential acceleration is: a = dv/dt, where a is tangential acceleration, dv is the change in tangential velocity, and dt is the change in time.

4. How is tangential acceleration related to angular acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and angular acceleration are related through the formula: a = rα, where a is tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the circular path, and α is the angular acceleration. This relationship holds for objects moving in circular motion.

5. What are some real-world examples of tangential acceleration?

Some examples of tangential acceleration include a car accelerating around a circular track, a satellite orbiting around the Earth, or a ball spinning on a string. Essentially, any object that is moving in a curved path or rotating is experiencing tangential acceleration.