Rotational motion - finding tangential acceleration

At the top of the half pipe, the only force acting on the block is its weight, which can be broken down into tangential and radial components. As the block moves down the half pipe, the normal force from the track also contributes to both the tangential and radial accelerations. The tangential acceleration can be found using the equation At = r*angular acceleration, and the radial acceleration can be found using the equation Ac = v^2/r. From there, you can solve for the angular acceleration and use it to find the tangential and radial components of acceleration at the given height. In summary, to determine the tangential and radial components of acceleration for a block released on a frictionless track into a half pipe, consider the
prettydumbguy
1. The problem
A 6 kg block is released from a height of 5 m on a frictionless track and goes into a half pipe with a radius of 2 m. Determine the tangential and radial components of the acceleration when the block reaches a height of 2 m.

Homework Equations

Ac= v^2/r. At = r*angular acceleration. Maybe Vt = angular velocity*r[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I set potential energy at 5m = potential energy at 2m and kinetic energy to find the velocity. I got it and then squared it then divided by 2 to get centripetal/radial acceleration. Now here's where I'm stuck.

I have the radius and the tangential velocity and that's it. I know that tangential acceleration = angular acceleration*r but I don't have the angular acceleration. I can find the instantaneous angular velocity, but it's a single number, not a function so I can't take the derivative. I have no clue where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about considering the forces acting on the block?

1. What is tangential acceleration in rotational motion?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of tangential velocity in rotational motion. It is a measure of how quickly an object's tangential velocity is changing.

2. How is tangential acceleration calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula: a = rα, where a is the tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the circular path, and α is the angular acceleration.

3. What is the difference between tangential acceleration and linear acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is specific to rotational motion and is measured along the circular path of an object. Linear acceleration, on the other hand, is the rate of change of linear velocity in a straight line.

4. How does tangential acceleration affect the speed and direction of an object in rotational motion?

Tangential acceleration can affect the speed of an object by changing its tangential velocity, which is the component of velocity that is tangent to the circular path. It can also affect the direction of an object by changing the direction of its tangential velocity.

5. What factors can affect the tangential acceleration of an object in rotational motion?

The tangential acceleration of an object can be affected by the object's mass, radius of rotation, and angular acceleration. Additionally, external forces such as friction or torque can also affect the tangential acceleration.