Register to reply

Bochner-Weitzenbock formula (-> Laplacian)

Share this thread:
Sajet
Jan2-13, 11:30 AM
P: 48
Hi! I'm trying to understand a proof for the Bochner-Weitzenbock formular. I'm sorry I have to bother you with such a basic question but I've worked at this for more than an hour now, but I just don't get the very first step, i.e.:

[itex]-\frac{1}{2} \Delta |\nabla f|^2 = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i}X_iX_i \langle \nabla f, \nabla f \rangle[/itex]
Where we are in a complete Riemannian manifold, [itex]f \in C^\infty(M)[/itex] at a point [itex]p \in M[/itex], with a local orthonormal frame [itex]X_1, ..., X_n[/itex] such that [itex]\langle X_i, X_j \rangle = \delta_{ij}, D_{X_i}X_j(p) = 0[/itex], and of course

[itex]\langle \nabla f, X \rangle = X(f) = df(X)[/itex]
[itex]\textrm{Hess }f(X, Y) = \langle D_X(\nabla f), Y \rangle[/itex]
[itex]\Delta f = - \textrm{tr(Hess )}f[/itex]

I've tried to use the Levi-Civita identities, but I'm getting entangled in these formulas and don't get anywhere.

Any help is appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
Sajet
Jan3-13, 09:11 AM
I got it now :)
dextercioby
Jan3-13, 10:01 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,894
You may try to post a solution/sketch of solution for the one interested. That would be nice of you.

Sajet
Feb10-13, 08:32 AM
Bochner-Weitzenbock formula (-> Laplacian)

Sorry, i didn't notice the post. In case anyone ever finds this through google or the search function, here it is:

[itex]-\frac{1}{2} \Delta\|\nabla f\|^2 = \frac{1}{2}\text{tr}(\text{Hess}(\langle \nabla f, \nabla f \rangle ))[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^n \langle \nabla_{X_i} \text{grad}\langle \nabla f, \nabla f \rangle, X_i\rangle[/itex] (<- these are the diagonal entries of the representation matrix)
[itex]= \frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^n X_i \langle \text{grad}\langle \nabla f, \nabla f\rangle, X_i\rangle - \langle \text{grad}\langle \nabla f, \nabla f\rangle, \nabla_{X_i} X_i\rangle[/itex] (where the second summand is zero)
[itex]= \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1}^n X_i X_i \langle \nabla f, \nabla f\rangle[/itex]

Register to reply