Found a new formula of Dirac calculus

In summary, the formula found by the person is an equality between two operators - one that is not rigorous in the sense of functional analysis, and the other that is a formal identity. It is elegant, and can be useful.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have found a new formula in Dirac calculus. The formula is elementary, so probably I'm not the first who found it. Yet, I have never seen it before. As many other formulas in Dirac calculus, it is not rigorous in the sense of functional analysis. Rather, it is a formal equality, which is only well defined under integrals, while otherwise it should be used with a grain of salt. But the formula is very elegant and, I believe, can be very useful.

Let ##\hat{x}## be an operator with a continuous spectrum, such as the position operator. Its eigenstates ##|x\rangle## obey ##\hat{x}|x\rangle=x|x\rangle##, where ##x## are the eigenvalues of ##\hat{x}##. The operator has a formal spectral decomposition
$$\hat{x}=\int dx\, x |x\rangle\langle x|$$
On the other hand, we can also write a formal identity
$$\int dx\, x\delta(\hat{x}-x)=\hat{x}$$
Comparing the two equation above, one finds the formula
$$|x\rangle\langle x|=\delta(\hat{x}-x)$$
which seems to be something new, or at least new to me.

Have you seen this formula before? For the mathematically inclined, have you got any idea how to make it more rigorous?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
On the other hand, we can also write a formal identity
$$\int dx\, x\delta(\hat{x}-x)=\hat{x}$$
Comparing the two equation above,
Well, since ##\hat{x}## is supposed to be an operator, ##\delta(\hat{x}-x)## is "not yet" defined. So your "formal identity" could instead be used as a definition of (the meaning of) ##\delta(\hat{x}-x)##.

Demystifier said:
one finds the formula
##|x\rangle\langle x|=\delta(\hat{x}-x)##
which seems to be something new, or at least new to me.

Have you seen this formula before? For the mathematically inclined, have you got any idea how to make it more rigorous?
Are we sure that comparing the two equations really gives anything? I tried to make it more rigorous, started by rewritting the "definition" of ##\delta(\hat{x}-x)## to a definition for ##\delta(\hat{y}-x)##
$$\int dx\, x\delta(\hat{y}-x)=\hat{y}$$

Then I wanted to introduce test function to be integrated over, but then I no longer understood why we should be able to conclude from two integrals being equal that their integrants were equal too.

gentzen said:
Then I wanted to introduce test function to be integrated over, but then I no longer understood why we should be able to conclude from two integrals being equal that their integrants were equal too.
For an arbitrary test function ##f(x)## we have
$$\int dx\, f(x) \delta(\hat{x}-x)=f(\hat{x})$$
that's how the functional ## \delta(\hat{x}-x)## is defined. Using my formula
$$\delta(\hat{x}-x)=|x\rangle\langle x|$$
this becomes
$$\int dx\, f(x) |x\rangle\langle x|=f(\hat{x})$$
which is nothing but the standard spectral decomposition of the operator ##f(\hat{x})##. The formula is therefore valid for any test function, so in a sense it is valid even without the integral.

Likes vanhees71 and gentzen
By the way, I have found this in an attempt to find a counterexample to the statement than any operator (in the Hilbert space of one particle in one dimension) can be written as ##F(\hat{x}, \hat{p})##. It occurred to me that ##|x\rangle\langle x|## could be a counterexample, so I found that it's not a counterexample, if ##F## can be a generalized function (i.e. functional).

Likes vanhees71
Demystifier said:
The formula is therefore valid for any test function, so in a sense it is valid even without the integral.
So you succeded yourself to make it more rigorous. My mistake was to introduce ##y## in the wrong place. I should have kept ##\hat{x}## and renamed the free/integration variable to ##y##. Then I can "rewrite" your answer, such that it reads:
For an arbitrary test function ##f(x)## we have
$$\int dy\, f(y) \delta(\hat{x}-y)=f(\hat{x})$$
that's how the functional ## \delta(\hat{x}-y)## is defined. Using "the proposed" formula
$$\delta(\hat{x}-y)=|y\rangle\langle y|$$
this becomes
$$\int dy\, f(y) |y\rangle\langle y|=f(\hat{x})$$
which is nothing but the standard spectral decomposition of the operator ##f(\hat{x})##.
Of course, one can discuss whether ## \delta(\hat{x}-x)## or ##|y\rangle\langle y|## is more confusing. Perhaps a compromise would be to use ##x'## instead of ##y##, and then claim that neither ## \delta(\hat{x}-x')## nor ##|x'\rangle\langle x'|## should be confusing.

Likes Demystifier
For a spinless particle in non-relativistic QM the Heisenberg algebra of ##\hat{\vec{x}}## and ##\hat{\vec{p}}## is sufficient to describe all one-particle operators by definition. You can ensure this by analyzing the ray represenstations of the Galilei group.

My next project is to find a similar formula for ##|x\rangle\langle x'|##.

What is Dirac calculus?

Dirac calculus is a mathematical framework developed by physicist Paul Dirac to describe the behavior of quantum particles. It is an extension of traditional calculus that takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics.

What does it mean to find a new formula of Dirac calculus?

Finding a new formula of Dirac calculus means that a scientist has discovered a new mathematical expression or equation within the framework of Dirac calculus. This new formula can be used to describe and predict the behavior of quantum particles in a more accurate or efficient way.

How is the new formula of Dirac calculus different from the existing ones?

The new formula of Dirac calculus may differ from existing ones in terms of the variables or principles it takes into account, the level of accuracy or complexity, or the specific applications it can be used for. It may also provide new insights or solutions to previously unsolved problems in quantum mechanics.

What are the potential applications of the new formula of Dirac calculus?

The new formula of Dirac calculus can potentially be applied in various fields such as quantum physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used to study and understand the behavior of subatomic particles, develop new technologies, and make predictions about the behavior of complex quantum systems.

What is the significance of finding a new formula of Dirac calculus?

Finding a new formula of Dirac calculus is significant because it expands our understanding of the behavior of quantum particles and allows us to make more accurate predictions about their behavior. It also has the potential to advance scientific research and lead to new discoveries and technologies in the future.