Linearization of Second Order Differential Equations

by Ruby Tyra
Tags: linearization, pendulum
Ruby Tyra
Jan2-13, 02:48 PM
P: 1
I'm having some difficulties figuring out how to linearize second order differential equations for a double pendulum.

I have an equation that is in the form of

[itex]\theta_{1}''[/itex][itex]\normalsize = function[/itex] [[itex]\theta_{1}[/itex],[itex]\theta_{2}[/itex],[itex]\theta_{1}'[/itex],[itex]\theta_{2}'[/itex]]

(The original equation is found at http://www.myphysicslab.com/dbl_pendulum.html, the equations inside the orange rectangle.)

I was told to replace that function by a linear function of all four variables but I don't know where to start with that since the original equation is much more complex than the simple pendulum example we were given.

Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Chestermiller
Jan2-13, 08:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 4,502
Quote Quote by Ruby Tyra View Post
I'm having some difficulties figuring out how to linearize second order differential equations for a double pendulum.

I have an equation that is in the form of

[itex]\theta_{1}''[/itex][itex]\normalsize = function[/itex] [[itex]\theta_{1}[/itex],[itex]\theta_{2}[/itex],[itex]\theta_{1}'[/itex],[itex]\theta_{2}'[/itex]]

(The original equation is found at http://www.myphysicslab.com/dbl_pendulum.html, the equations inside the orange rectangle.)

I was told to replace that function by a linear function of all four variables but I don't know where to start with that since the original equation is much more complex than the simple pendulum example we were given.

Thank you!
If f = f(x,y,z,w) and you want to linearize, use the chain rule:

[tex]f(x,y,z,w) = f(x_0,y_0,z_0,w_0)+\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}}(x-x_0)+\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}}(y-y_0)+\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{z}}(z-z_0)+\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{w}}(w-w_0)[/tex]

where the partials are evaluated at [tex]x_0,y_0,z_0,w_0[/tex]
HallsofIvy
Jan3-13, 05:54 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,896
Note that what Chestermiller is saying is essentially the same as replacing the function by a Taylor polynomial in all variables, then dropping all but the linear terms. And that, in turn, is the same as replacing the "surface" by its "tangent plane".

Register to reply