Vector space for solutions of differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem in mathematics that states the set of all functions that are solutions of a linear differential equation is a vector space, and that this fact is noticed in most textbooks but rarely proven. The conversation also includes a request for a reference and an explanation of what it means for a set of solutions to be a vector space. A link to a book discussing the topic is provided.
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
Why is the solution of a diff.eq. a vector space
Good Morning

Recently, I asked why there must be two possible solutions to a second order differential equation. I was very happy with the discussion and learned a lot -- thank you.

In it, someone wrote:

" It is a theorem in mathematics that the set of all functions that are solutions of a linear differential equation is a vector space , sub space of the vector space of all functions (of a real variable). "

Is there a chance someone could provide the name of this theorem and provide link (preferably on-line) to a simple, introductory discussion about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that this fact is noticed in all textbooks. But you hardly find a proof because it is too trivial.

Likes member 587159 and PeroK
wrobel said:
I believe that this fact is noticed in all textbooks. But you hardly find a proof because it is trivial.

Could you provide a reference... I just need to see it stated and the context.

I am a mech.eng. with flawed appreciation for math. I use it, machine like, and would like to explore this.

It is NOT trivial for me.

Trying2Learn said:
It is NOT trivial for me.
To be a vector space means that if you have two solutions, say ##y_1(x)## and ##y_2(x)##, then any linear combination of them is also a solution. This means that any functions of the form ##h(x)=ay_1(x)+by_2(x)##, where ##a## and ##b## can be any real numbers is also a solution to your equation.

1. What is a vector space for solutions of differential equations?

A vector space for solutions of differential equations is a mathematical concept that describes the set of all possible solutions to a particular differential equation. It is a collection of vectors that satisfy the given differential equation and can be added together and multiplied by scalars to produce new solutions.

2. How is a vector space for solutions of differential equations different from a regular vector space?

A vector space for solutions of differential equations is different from a regular vector space because the vectors in this space represent solutions to a specific mathematical equation, whereas in a regular vector space, the vectors can represent any type of mathematical object.

3. What are the key properties of a vector space for solutions of differential equations?

The key properties of a vector space for solutions of differential equations include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, existence of a zero vector, existence of additive inverses, and distributivity of scalar multiplication over vector addition.

4. How is a vector space for solutions of differential equations useful in solving real-world problems?

A vector space for solutions of differential equations is useful in solving real-world problems because it provides a framework for understanding and manipulating solutions to differential equations, which are used to model many natural phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Can a vector space for solutions of differential equations have an infinite number of dimensions?

Yes, a vector space for solutions of differential equations can have an infinite number of dimensions. This is because the solutions to a differential equation can be represented by an infinite number of functions, each of which can be considered a different dimension in the vector space.