Register to reply

Heterogeneous nucleation - Mentos and coke

by Kruler
Tags: coke, heterogeneous, mentos, nucleation
Share this thread:
Kruler
Dec30-12, 01:07 PM
P: 3
Hello guys , i'm a medical student , and i'm very fascinated by this Mentos and diet cola experiment , however i do not understand it completly and i would like to know the followings
-From my understanding it happens because of Heterogeneous Nucleation , is that right ? Then i do not undertand why is the CO2, which starts as liquid form turns actually into gas ? isn't supposed to turn into solid by common logic ? I dont really understand that.
-Why is that happens mainly when the mentos sinks at the bottom of the coke ?
-After this phenomenon, is the liquid (coke) + CO2 still pressurized ? if its not , why is it losing it's pressure ?
-Last question about the pressure - does a super-pressurized coke will produce an higher eruption ?

I read some in the internet , but every website explains the Nucleation process differently , i think i understand it , but not fully though.

I asked alot of questions , but i'm really curious :)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Detecting neutrinos, physicists look into the heart of the Sun
Measurement at Big Bang conditions confirms lithium problem
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
CWatters
Dec30-12, 01:34 PM
P: 3,145
Then i do not undertand why is the CO2, which starts as liquid form turns actually into gas ? isn't supposed to turn into solid by common logic ?
The C02 starts off as a gas disolved in the coke. It stays a gas.
Kruler
Dec30-12, 03:49 PM
Quote Quote by CWatters View Post
The C02 starts off as a gas disolved in the coke. It stays a gas.
Thanks for the reply , so i assume that the cola + co2 is a supersaturated solution , why is the mentos and the nucleation causing it to lose pressure ?

Kruler
Jan3-13, 09:51 AM
Heterogeneous nucleation - Mentos and coke

sry for bumping guys , i would really appreciate if anyone knows a good webpage / article / book about nucleation (except wiki)

Register to reply