Register to reply

Heterogeneous nucleation - Mentos and coke

by Kruler
Tags: coke, heterogeneous, mentos, nucleation
Share this thread:
Kruler
Dec30-12, 01:07 PM
P: 3
Hello guys , i'm a medical student , and i'm very fascinated by this Mentos and diet cola experiment , however i do not understand it completly and i would like to know the followings
-From my understanding it happens because of Heterogeneous Nucleation , is that right ? Then i do not undertand why is the CO2, which starts as liquid form turns actually into gas ? isn't supposed to turn into solid by common logic ? I dont really understand that.
-Why is that happens mainly when the mentos sinks at the bottom of the coke ?
-After this phenomenon, is the liquid (coke) + CO2 still pressurized ? if its not , why is it losing it's pressure ?
-Last question about the pressure - does a super-pressurized coke will produce an higher eruption ?

I read some in the internet , but every website explains the Nucleation process differently , i think i understand it , but not fully though.

I asked alot of questions , but i'm really curious :)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Three's a charm: NIST detectors reveal entangled photon triplets
How did evolution optimize circadian clocks?
New webcast series brings cutting-edge physics talks to the world
CWatters
Dec30-12, 01:34 PM
P: 3,227
Then i do not undertand why is the CO2, which starts as liquid form turns actually into gas ? isn't supposed to turn into solid by common logic ?
The C02 starts off as a gas disolved in the coke. It stays a gas.
Kruler
Dec30-12, 03:49 PM
Quote Quote by CWatters View Post
The C02 starts off as a gas disolved in the coke. It stays a gas.
Thanks for the reply , so i assume that the cola + co2 is a supersaturated solution , why is the mentos and the nucleation causing it to lose pressure ?

Kruler
Jan3-13, 09:51 AM
Heterogeneous nucleation - Mentos and coke

sry for bumping guys , i would really appreciate if anyone knows a good webpage / article / book about nucleation (except wiki)

Register to reply