Register to reply

Continuous R^2xR^2xR^2/E^+(2) -> R^3 injection

Share this thread:
pmsrw3
Jan1-13, 03:35 PM
P: 455
This is a question that comes from my research. I know next to nothing about topology, so I'm not able to assure myself of the answer. The problem is this: I'm watching an animal move in two dimensions. At three successive points in time I have three positions, (x1,y1), (x2,y2), (x3,y3). But there are three uninteresting degrees of freedom in these numbers: two that say where it all happened and one that gives the angle you're looking at it from. In other words, I am only interested in translation and rotation-invariant aspects of the motion. Thus, the three positions are best understood not as being a point in ℝ^2×ℝ^2×ℝ^2, but in the orbit space ℝ^2×ℝ^2×ℝ^2/E+(2), E+(2) being the group of rigid-body motions in two dimensions, acting uniformly on all three positions, i.e. e in E+(2) acts on ((x1,y1), (x2,y2), (x3,y3)) to produce (e(x1,y1), e(x2,y2), e(x3,y3)).

I want to get three numbers that contain all the rotation and translation-independent information in (x1,y1), (x2,y2), (x3,y3). This is easy. I would also like the mapping to be continuous. That is, I would like to have a continuous injection from ℝ^2×ℝ^2×ℝ^2/E+(2) -> ℝ^3. This, I believe, is impossible. Am I right? I have a feeling this is basically Borsuk–Ulam, but like I said, I'm pretty ignorant of topology.

Thanks for any help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
pmsrw3
Jan6-13, 06:16 AM
P: 455
Got some answers to this on mathoverflow.net. It turns out there ARE continuous bijections ℝ^2×ℝ^2×ℝ^2/E+(2) -> ℝ^3.

Register to reply