Infinitesimal Movement Along 3-d Geodesics

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the movement of a point on a three dimensional graph when initially moving in a direction described by a unit vector. In two dimensions, the method involves calculating the derivative and curvature, but in three dimensions, this method does not accurately capture the movement. There is a need for a general method to accurately calculate this movement in three dimensions.
kairama15
TL;DR Summary
I would like to determine how a point (xo,yo,zo) moves along a geodesic on a three dimensional graph when it initially starts moving in a direction according to a unit vector <vxo,vyo,vzo>. So, if I start at that point, after a very small amount of time, what is its new coordinate (x1,y1,z1) and its new vector <vx1,vy1,vz1>?
I would like to determine how a point (xo,yo,zo) moves along a geodesic on a three dimensional graph when it initially starts moving in a direction according to a unit vector <vxo,vyo,vzo>. So, if I start at that point, after a very small amount of time, what is its new coordinate (x1,y1,z1) and its new vector <vx1,vy1,vz1>? It should curl, move, and twist along the three dimensional surface.
My attempt:

I attempted to try this in two dimensions first. If I have a two dimensional graph y=f(x), and I start at point (xo,yo), the initial angle (thetao) the point is moving is related to the derivative calculated at xo described by: thetao=atan( f’(xo) ). Therefore, the x component and y component of a unit vector describing the movement of that point is <cos(thatao),sin(thetao)>.

After a small unit of time or distance moved, the starting unit vector’s angle will rotate proportional to the curvature “k” defined by k = y’’/(1+(y’)^2)^(3/2).

If the original unit vector starts at an angle ‘thetao’ , then the new angle (theta1) after a small distance (ds) moved is theta0+k*ds. Therefore, the new unit vector will be the x and y projections of that angle:

<cos(thetao+k*ds), sin(thetao+kds)>.

After a small distance (ds), the new x coordinate will be the old x coordinate (xo) plus the x component of the unit vector multiplied by ds.

X1=xo+vx*ds

The y coordinate will be the same, but will use the y coordinate and the y component of the unit vector.

Y1=yo+vy*ds
Sure enough, if I use excel to start at point (0,0) and the unit vector <sqrt(2)/2,sqrt(2)/2> on the graph y=sin(x) and use this method, the series of semi-infinitesimally spaced points that are calculated traces along a sine curve (if ds gets reasonably small).
In three dimensions on a graph z=f(x,y) , this doesn’t work. The curvature with respect to the x-axis and y-axis may be calculated, but since the vector doesn’t move in strictly the zx and zy plane, it doesn’t capture the curvature in which the point is moving the vast majority of the time.

Is there a general method to doing this infinitesimally in three dimensions accurately?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to add to why this method isn't working for me in three dimensions...

I could, for example, be moving in the x direction along the three dimensional surface. I could calculate the curvature in the zx plane and apply it to the vector. However, the graph could also be curving in the zy plane. But if my y component of the unit vector is 0, the curvature in the zy plane isn't taken into account.

Its kind of complicated to describe it... but it doesn't work. Lol!

1. What is infinitesimal movement along 3-d geodesics?

Infinitesimal movement along 3-d geodesics refers to the small, incremental changes in position along a curved path in three-dimensional space. This movement is based on the concept of geodesics, which are the shortest paths between two points on a curved surface.

2. How is infinitesimal movement along 3-d geodesics used in science?

Infinitesimal movement along 3-d geodesics is used in various fields of science, including physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is particularly useful in studying the behavior of particles and objects in curved space, such as in the theory of general relativity.

3. What is the significance of infinitesimal movement along 3-d geodesics?

The significance of infinitesimal movement along 3-d geodesics lies in its ability to accurately describe the motion of objects in curved space. It allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of particles and objects in complex systems, such as gravitational fields.

4. How does infinitesimal movement along 3-d geodesics differ from other types of movement?

Infinitesimal movement along 3-d geodesics differs from other types of movement, such as linear or circular motion, in that it takes into account the curvature of space. This means that the path of an object may not be a straight line or a perfect circle, but rather a curved path that follows the geodesic.

5. Can infinitesimal movement along 3-d geodesics be observed in everyday life?

While infinitesimal movement along 3-d geodesics may not be directly observable in everyday life, its effects can be seen in phenomena such as the bending of light around massive objects and the motion of planets in the solar system. It is also used in the design and construction of structures, such as bridges and buildings, to ensure their stability and strength.