Register to reply

A student I am tutoring has asked me to help him formulate a synthesis

by mike.bayville
Tags: asked, formulate, student, synthesis, tutoring
Share this thread:
mike.bayville
Jan7-13, 09:52 AM
P: 4
A student I am tutoring has asked me to help him formulate a synthesis pathway for the compound N-ethylpent-4-enoate.

I have spent countless hours trying to determine the structural formula for this compound without success.

I must be missing something so obvious... Like leaves in a forest!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mike
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Seeing is bead-lieving: Scientists create model 'bead-spring' chains with tunable properties
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
DrDu
Jan7-13, 10:11 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,562
The big "N" means usually that the ethyl is bound to a nitrogen in the rest of the structure, however there is none. So this compound either does not exist or the formula you or your student provided is incomplete.
mike.bayville
Jan7-13, 10:30 AM
I agree with you!

As a matter of fact, a Google search resulted in essentially one hit from 3 months ago on answers.yahoo.com and the person answering a question regarding the structural diagram of N-ethylpent-4-enoate came to the same conclusion you did.

Now, when I asked the student yesterday to ask his teacher today to confirm the compound name, while I was on hold he claimed to have contacted some other classmates who had successfully produced a synthesis pathway to N-ethylpent-4-enoate from ethane and pentane using "only small molecules and no other organic compounds" per the teacher's instructions.

I am beginning to wonder if he is pulling my leg?

I have to figure some way to get him to ask his teacher or just tell him I cannot help him... I do not know what else to do!

mike.bayville
Jan7-13, 11:03 AM
A student I am tutoring has asked me to help him formulate a synthesis

A friend suggested the following formula, but it does not look right to me...

CH3-CH2-NH-O-C(=O)-CH2-CH2-CH=CH2

Any thoughts?
DrDu
Jan7-13, 01:33 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,562
The molecule you were drawing is N-ethylpent-4-enamide

Register to reply