Solving an Elasticity Problem - Any Help Appreciated!

• Thread starter physicist10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elasticity
In summary: This was really helpful. In summary, the article says that the plane has two stress components, σn and σs. σn is a multiple of (l, m, k) vector and σs is a vector that is orthogonal to (l, m, k). T is the stress vector and Ts is the shear stress vector. If T lies in the plane, then the shear stress is maximum.
physicist10
Hello, I am struggling with this problem. It is probably the easiest problem ever...

6o28so.jpg

What I did: The plane has 2 stress components. σn and σs.

σn is a multiple of (l, m, k) vector. For σs, I made up a vector (a, b, c) which is orthogonal to (l, m, k). And I equated all vectors.

I'm probably doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

6o28so.jpg

Homework Equations

General plane formulas.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the plane has 2 stress components. σn and σs.

σn is a multiple of (l, m, k) vector. For σs, I made up a vector (a, b, c) which is orthogonal to (l, m, k). And I equated all vectors.

I'm probably doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated!

Hello, I am not an expert on elasticity but this really looks quite straightforward. Let's first find the stress vector T (I'm using T instead of σ to avoid confusion with the stress tensor). You will get it by multiplying the (diagonal) stress tensor by your normal vector as T=(σ1l, σ2m, σ3n). It has two components as you wrote, Tn and Ts. The magnitude of Tn is simply the dot product of T and n and its direction is along n as you wrote. Vector Ts has to be the complement to the total stress vector.
And for the second part - the shear stress will be maximum if vector T lies in your plane, e.g. the dot product of T and n is zero.

Last edited:
zirkus
Let's first find the stress vector T

Whilst this thread properly belongs in the homework section, this needs comment.

What is a stress vector?

Studiot said:
Whilst this thread properly belongs in the homework section, this needs comment.

What is a stress vector?

Aha, he's probably talking about the traction vector.

However, this was very helpful. Thanks

What is a stress vector?
We defined it similarly like the article on wiki does, so I won't rewrite it...Stress on Wikipedia
Most likely there are other methods or other terminology, I'm not a native speaker so i can't tell the subtle differences that well, sorry about that.

Zirkus said:
We defined it similarly like the article on wiki does, so I won't rewrite it...Stress on Wikipedia
Most likely there are other methods or other terminology, I'm not a native speaker so i can't tell the subtle differences that well, sorry about that.

Thanks Zirkus!

1. What is elasticity and why is it important?

Elasticity is a measure of the responsiveness of a material or system to an applied force or stress. It is important because it helps us understand how materials and systems behave under different conditions and allows us to make predictions and solve problems related to their functionality and durability.

2. What are the steps involved in solving an elasticity problem?

The first step is to clearly define the problem and gather all the necessary information, including the material properties and boundary conditions. Then, the problem is typically solved using mathematical equations and principles of elasticity. This may involve simplifying assumptions and using specific formulas or methods depending on the type of problem. Finally, the solution is checked for accuracy and any necessary adjustments are made.

3. What are some common assumptions made in solving elasticity problems?

Some common assumptions include assuming the material is homogeneous, isotropic, and elastic under small deformations. It may also be assumed that the material has linear or nonlinear behavior and that the boundary conditions are well-defined and do not change over time.

4. How do you know if your solution to an elasticity problem is correct?

The solution should satisfy all the given boundary conditions and be physically realistic. It should also be checked against any known solutions or experimental data, if available. Additionally, the solution should be mathematically sound, with all equations and calculations done accurately.

5. Are there any software tools available for solving elasticity problems?

Yes, there are various software tools and programs that can assist in solving elasticity problems, such as finite element analysis (FEA) software. These tools can help with complex problems and provide visual representations of the behavior of the material or system under different conditions.