Find the height to which a mass rises

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a string and mass system, where the mass reaches a certain level and picks up a rider. The solution is approached by considering energy and eventually leads to the correct answer of 2L - h. One of the main points emphasized is not to assume the conservation of mechanical energy without proper reasoning.
gnits
Homework Statement
To find the height to which a mass rises
Relevant Equations
PE=mgh
Hi,

Could I please ask for help regarding the following question.

RiderQ.png

The book answer H = ( 3 - 3 sqrt(2)/4 ) L

(natural length of string is L)

Here is my diagram:
rider.png

The green level represents the unstretched string.
The blue level is the string and mass in equilibrium.
The purple level is the mass at its lowest level.

When the mass reaches the blue level it will pick up the rider.

Here's my method:

Equating forces in the equilibrium positions gives: (using tension in elastic string = Yx/L where Y = elastic modulus, x = extension and L = natural length.)

mgy/L = mg

and so we find that y = L. This is the equilibrium position of the sphere.

I am solving the problem by considering energy. Energy in elastic string = Yx^2/ 2L

Let h be the maximum height above the equilibrium position which the combined masses reach.

So, equating energy at lowest point (all elastic energy) to energy at highest point to which sphere and rider rise (remaining elastic energy plus potential energy of the mass of the sphere and rider) gives:

( mg(L + L/2)^2 ) / ( 2L ) = ( mg(L - h)^2) / ( 2L ) + ( 2mg( (L/2) + h ) )

This doesn't lead me to the books answer.

Is this a valid way to attack the problem? If so, what silly mistake have I made?

Thanks for any help,
Mitch.

Physics news on Phys.org
gnits said:
equating energy at lowest point (all elastic energy) to energy at highest point to which sphere and rider rise
Never assume without good reason that mechanical energy is conserved.
What do you know in that regard about the process by which the sphere collects the rider?

Thanks for you clue. Indeed I was wrong to assume conservation of mechanical energy in the inelastic collision. Here is my now correct approach. I can show that the initial motion before the collision is SHM of amplitude L/2 about the blue level. I can use this to give me the velocity of the sphere just before the impact. This comes out to v1 = (1/2)sqrt(g/L). Now the masses collide. I use conservation of momentum to give me the velocity of the combined masses and this gives v2 = (1/4)sqrt(g/L). Now I equate the energy in the system at this instant just after the collision with that in the system once the combined mass reaches the highest point of its motion (a distance h above the blue level)

I define zero potential energy as being at the blue level. so:

Elastic energy in string at blue level + K.E. of combined mass = Elastic energy in string at h above blue level + P.E. of combined mass. This gives:

mgL^2/2L + (1/2)*2M*gL/16 = mg(L-h)^2/2L + 2mgh

Solving this for h and gives the correct answer of 2L - h.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Likes scottdave and haruspex
Thank you for taking the trouble to post your corrected answer.

What is "Find the height to which a mass rises"?

"Find the height to which a mass rises" is a physics concept that refers to the distance a mass travels upwards when launched or thrown into the air. It is also known as the maximum height or peak height.

What factors influence the height to which a mass rises?

There are several factors that can affect the height to which a mass rises, including the initial velocity of the mass, the angle at which it is launched, the force or energy applied, and the presence of external forces such as air resistance or friction.

How do you calculate the height to which a mass rises?

To calculate the height to which a mass rises, you can use the equation h = (v^2 * sin^2θ) / 2g, where h is the height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Alternatively, you can use the equation h = (v^2 * sin(2θ)) / g.

Why is understanding the height to which a mass rises important?

Understanding the height to which a mass rises is important in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and sports. It helps us predict the trajectory and landing of objects, design and optimize projectile motion, and improve performance in activities such as throwing, jumping, and shooting.

How does air resistance affect the height to which a mass rises?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the height to which a mass rises by slowing down its velocity and reducing its energy. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of motion and increases as the speed of the object increases. Therefore, a higher launch angle and a lower initial velocity can minimize the effect of air resistance and result in a higher peak height.