Register to reply

What is the hardest thing for you to wrap your brain around

by uperkurk
Tags: brain, hardest, thing, wrap
Share this thread:
Gomar
Dec29-12, 07:10 PM
P: 21
Had the meteor not struck planet Earth when the dinos walked all over killing them all, then they would still be around. Ifcourse, had that same meteor struck just 500 years ago, I would not be writing this now.
Yayfordoritos
Dec29-12, 09:48 PM
P: 16
The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around is how people can still think the universe was created in 6 days, and that a virgin got pregnant by an immaculate conception.
OmCheeto
Dec30-12, 01:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,433
Quote Quote by Yayfordoritos View Post
The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around is how people can still think the universe was created in 6 days, and that a virgin got pregnant by an immaculate conception.
A "day" can be defined other than a time period of 24 hours. Perhaps the biblical creation day is 2 billion years long.

And we impregnate people like that all the time where I work. Never asked them if they were virgins of course. It's a bit of a personal question.

Science explains everything.

Neil deGrasse Tyson explained the science of Santa Claus the other day on NPR. He is a freakin' genius.

ps. Magnets! Someone explain magnets to me!
Whovian
Dec30-12, 07:57 PM
P: 643
Number Theory. Or Human stupidity. I'd say both are equally hard for me to wrap my head around.
ahaanomegas
Dec30-12, 08:05 PM
P: 27
The hardest thing for my to wrap my brain around is how people can confuse two different subjects like Philosophy and Quantum Mechanics or Astrology and Quantum Physics? Every subject is wonderful in its own way and should be dealt with differently. Yes, there is no border between subjects and they can be intermingled but not to the extent that you make a subject lose its integrity.

Understanding people is hard. Well, understanding the universe is hard.
1MileCrash
Dec30-12, 10:32 PM
P: 1,302
I think it's Graham's number for me.
Drakkith
Dec31-12, 12:09 AM
Mentor
P: 11,884
I can't understand why my bank account is constantly empty...I think QCD may have something to do with it.
PNGeng
Jan5-13, 08:13 PM
P: 15
How humans survived in the wild.
Jow
Jan5-13, 10:11 PM
P: 67
Anything greater than or equal to Graham's number. (Alright, not technically a physics thing).
The most difficult, actual thing, for me to wrap my brain around: every single thing in Quantum Mechanics :)
lisab
Jan6-13, 08:26 PM
Mentor
P: 2,990
Graham crackers.
Drakkith
Jan6-13, 08:29 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Graham crackers.
I thought you put white/grey squishy things BETWEEN the crackers??
nitsuj
Jan7-13, 12:15 PM
P: 1,098
Quote Quote by EricVT View Post
Memory.

How tiny chemical reactions and electrical signals can conjure up such vivid memories from 20+ years ago amazes me.
This is it for me too.
NWH
Jan7-13, 06:08 PM
P: 103
What came first, the chicken or the egg? It's an analogy that can be applied to almost any practical situation and asks the very question of existence.
NemoReally
Jan7-13, 07:38 PM
P: 194
Quote Quote by NWH View Post
What came first, the chicken or the egg? It's an analogy that can be applied to almost any practical situation and asks the very question of existence.
Egg? (chicken came from egg, but what laid egg wasn't necessarily chicken - probably tasted as good, though ... I find the distinction question interesting in cases like this; the thing in the farmyard is "clearly" a chicken and its wayback ancestor clearly isn't (it probably had teeth and a long bony tail) - where along the evolutionary trail does a chicken become a chicken and not a chickosaurus?)
Drakkith
Jan7-13, 07:39 PM
Mentor
I've never found it to be all that applicable. Or deep.
csnoob
Jan7-13, 09:47 PM
P: 5
Why anyone gives a flying <expletive> about New Year's.

P = NP

Why anyone thought Notre Dame was #1
NWH
Jan8-13, 02:04 PM
P: 103
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
I've never found it to be all that applicable. Or deep.
Look at it a different way. What came first, energy or matter? What came first, the universe or the big bang? The chicken or the egg scenario asks the very question of existence, like where did everything come from and what was actually required for it to exist. That's the hardest thing for me to wrap my head around, how something can seemingly come out of no where without a chicken or an egg to give birth to it.
Drakkith
Jan8-13, 02:52 PM
Mentor
Look at it a different way. What came first, energy or matter? What came first, the universe or the big bang? The chicken or the egg scenario asks the very question of existence, like where did everything come from and what was actually required for it to exist. That's the hardest thing for me to wrap my head around, how something can seemingly come out of no where without a chicken or an egg to give birth to it.
Huh. I've never had an issue with that question. I guess I just don't care because I don't think we can even know.

Register to reply