by weetabixharry
Tags: differential, equation, matrix, rectangular
Share this thread:
weetabixharry
Jan9-13, 03:20 PM
P: 108
Given a matrix differential equation (system of equations?) of the form:

[itex]\textbf{X}^{\prime}(t) = \textbf{AX}(t)[/itex]

(where X is a complex matrix, t is real scalar and A is always a square and normal real matrix) I am able to find (e.g. here) that a general solution for square [itex]\textbf{X}[/itex] is:

[itex]\textbf{X}(t) = \textbf{E}diag\{exp\{\underline{\lambda}t\}\}[/itex]

where [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex] is the matrix whose columns are the eigenvectors of A and [itex]\underline{\lambda}[/itex] the vector of corresponding eigenvalues. [itex]diag\{exp\{\underline{\lambda}t\}\}[/itex] is a diagonal matrix, with diagonal entries [itex]exp\{\underline{\lambda}t\}[/itex].

However, what do I do if [itex]\textbf{X}[/itex] is a "tall" rectangular matrix? (i.e. X is (MxN), where M>N)? Can I somehow select only N of the eigenvectors/values?

Thanks very much for any help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
pasmith
Jan13-13, 12:45 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 1,025
Quote Quote by weetabixharry View Post
Given a matrix differential equation (system of equations?) of the form:

[itex]\textbf{X}^{\prime}(t) = \textbf{AX}(t)[/itex]

(where X is a complex matrix, t is real scalar and A is always a square and normal real matrix) I am able to find (e.g. here) that a general solution for square [itex]\textbf{X}[/itex] is:

[itex]\textbf{X}(t) = \textbf{E}diag\{exp\{\underline{\lambda}t\}\}[/itex]

where [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex] is the matrix whose columns are the eigenvectors of A and [itex]\underline{\lambda}[/itex] the vector of corresponding eigenvalues. [itex]diag\{exp\{\underline{\lambda}t\}\}[/itex] is a diagonal matrix, with diagonal entries [itex]exp\{\underline{\lambda}t\}[/itex].
That cannot be correct; it does not include an arbitrary constant.

The solution of
[tex]X' = AX[/tex]
where X (and X') is MxN and A is MxM (required for the matrix multiplication to be defined) and constant is
[tex]
X(t) = \exp(At)X(0)
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\exp(A) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac1{n!} A^n.
[/tex]

Now it is true that if [itex]A[/itex] is diagonalizable then one way to calculate [itex]\exp(At)[/itex] is to use the relation [itex]A^n = P^{-1}\Lambda^nP[/itex], where [itex]\Lambda[/itex] is diagonal, to obtain [itex]\exp(At) = P^{-1}\exp(\Lambda t)P[/itex]. It is then easily shown from the above definition that [itex]\exp(\mathrm{diag}(\lambda_1,\dots,\lambda_M)) = \mathrm{diag}(e^{\lambda_1}, \dots, e^{\lambda_M})[/itex], so that
[tex]
X(t) = P^{-1} \mathrm{diag}(e^{\lambda_1 t}, \dots, e^{\lambda_M t})PX(0)
[/tex]
where, in your notation, [itex]E = P^{-1}[/itex].

However, what do I do if [itex]\textbf{X}[/itex] is a "tall" rectangular matrix? (i.e. X is (MxN), where M>N)?
This is not a problem; the above solution works whether X is square or not.
grep6
Jan15-13, 03:16 PM
P: 5
It is a problem to take the exponential of a non-square matrix.
How can you calculate A^n when you cant multiply a non-square matrix with itself, its non conformable.

pasmith
Jan16-13, 11:10 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 1,025
Matrix differential equation for rectangular matrix

Quote Quote by grep6 View Post
It is a problem to take the exponential of a non-square matrix.
How can you calculate A^n when you cant multiply a non-square matrix with itself, its non conformable.
A must be square; otherwise the matrix equation
[tex]
X' = AX
[/tex]
does not make sense.

Register to reply