Derivation of the Maxwell and Proca Field Equations

topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
I am back to my writing desk and I was looking up different and (hopefully) relatively "basic" derivations of the field equations.

I found a nice little derivation of the Proca (and Maxwell) equations by Gersten (1998, PRL, 12, 291-298 is the reference, but I got it from the web so what I have may not be the full paper). It starts is a similar way to the Dirac derivation
##E^2-p^2=0##

And now factor this as:
##(E 1_3 - \textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{S} ) (E 1_3 + \textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{S} ) \boldsymbol{\psi} - m^2 \boldsymbol{\psi} = 0##

where ##1_3## is the 3 x 3 identity matrix, p is the 3-momentum, S is a set of three 3 x 3 matrices to be determined, and ##\boldsymbol{\psi}## is a 3 component vector of spacetime functions.

To solve this, Gersten added a term:
##(E 1_3 - \textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{S} ) (E 1_3 + \textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{S} ) \boldsymbol{\psi} + \textbf{p} ( \textbf{p} \cdot \boldsymbol{\psi} ) - m^2 \boldsymbol{\psi} = 0##

and required that
##\textbf{p} \cdot \boldsymbol{\psi} = i m^2 \phi##

and
##(E 1_3 + \textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{S} ) \boldsymbol{\psi} = i m^2 \textbf{A}##

Now, I'm mainly okay with this. We are adding a term and supplying 4 functions to take up the slack for it that we can use to "fix" the correct solution. And I like the simplicity of it.

But, if you take this down to m = 0 (the Maxwell field) you get
##(E 1_3 - \textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{S} ) (E 1_3 + \textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{S} ) \boldsymbol{\psi} + \textbf{p} ( \textbf{p} \cdot \boldsymbol{\psi} ) = 0##

with
##\textbf{p} \cdot \boldsymbol{\psi} = 0##

and
##(E 1_3 + \textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{S} ) \boldsymbol{\psi} = 0##

Now we've lost all of our freedom to "fix" the solution. Clearly, this should generate a solution, but we should be able to pick any extra term to add to the energy equation (so long as its compatible with the second equation, of course.) How does this process guarantee the correct solution to the Maxwell equations?

Is there a way to a priori justify adding this term?

-Dan

Likes ohwilleke
Physics news on Phys.org
topsquark said:
##(E 1_3 + \textbf{p} \cdot \textbf{S} ) \boldsymbol{\psi} = i m^2 \textbf{A}##
What is the definition of ##\textbf{A}##?

Likes ohwilleke
renormalize said:
What is the definition of ##\textbf{A}##?
A would be the 3-space part of the vector potential. In this method, it is defined what it is required to be by the solution of the system of equations. (Being a spin 1 particle, it will, of course, have a gauge condition to work right. I'm going to mention this after I derive the separate wave equations, but not going to go into it, as I feel there are better ways to analyze that problem later on into my work.)

At this level, I see it pretty much as a "dummy" variable, whose value is initially a sliding scale to "fix" the solution to be the Proca field equations. I've seen it done before: to my mind, the most blatant example is in the Ferrari solution to the quartic equation: an undetermined quantity z is introduced into the solution to force one side to be a perfect square. That condition sets a value of z (determined by solving a cubic) and that value is then set for the rest of the solution.

-Dan

Addendum: To be a bit more clear:
Replace E and p with the usual operators. This gives
##\nabla \boldsymbol{\psi} = -m^2 \phi##

##\dfrac{\partial \boldsymbol{\psi}}{\partial t} - i \nabla \times \boldsymbol{\psi} = m^2 \textbf{A}##

This leads to:
##\boldsymbol{\psi} = - \dfrac{\partial \textbf{A}}{\partial t} - i \nabla \times \textbf{A} - \nabla \phi##

We then set ##\boldsymbol{\psi} = \textbf{E} - i \textbf{B}##, E and B real, which leads to the Proca equations.

-Dan

Last edited:
Likes ohwilleke
vanhees71 said:
The correct citation is

Gersten, A. Maxwell’s Equations as the One-Photon Quantum Equation. Found Phys Lett 12, 291–298 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021648704289
Thank you. I didn't have the title. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to look at the full article, I can't afford to buy it.

-Dan

Addendum: Ouch! That smarts. Apparently I didn't give the correct Journal, either. (A typo on my part.) Thanks for the catch!

vanhees71 said:
A similar approach to the Proca equation can be found here:

https://arxiv.org/abs/0901.3300
For the record, that's the paper I have. But it does not explain why we choose the form ##\textbf{p} \cdot \boldsymbol{\psi}##. I mean, it does give the correct answer, but is there any logic to why we should choose this form? Is there a Physical reason this term should be suspected to be 0?

-Dan

I find this paper not very convincing. The entire thing goes back to the 19th century and the so-called Riemann-Silberstein vector. For electrodynamics, you find the modern argument, using the relativistic formulation of electrodynamics to show that this vector ##\vec{F}=\vec{E}+\mathrm{i} \vec{B}## leads to a representation of the Lorentz group as ##\text{SO}(3,\mathbb{C})##, in my manuscript, p.70.

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf

Likes topsquark
vanhees71 said:
I find this paper not very convincing. The entire thing goes back to the 19th century and the so-called Riemann-Silberstein vector. For electrodynamics, you find the modern argument, using the relativistic formulation of electrodynamics to show that this vector ##\vec{F}=\vec{E}+\mathrm{i} \vec{B}## leads to a representation of the Lorentz group as ##\text{SO}(3,\mathbb{C})##, in my manuscript, p.70.

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf
Thank you! I'm getting over a flu, so it might be a couple of days before I can fully read through this.

-Dan

Likes vanhees71

1. How are the Maxwell field equations derived?

The Maxwell field equations are derived by applying Gauss's law for electricity, Gauss's law for magnetism, Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, and Ampère's law with Maxwell's addition of the displacement current term. These equations describe how electric and magnetic fields interact with each other and with electric charges and currents.

2. What are the Proca field equations?

The Proca field equations are a generalization of the Maxwell field equations that include a mass term for the gauge field. This mass term introduces a new degree of freedom that describes a massive vector boson, as opposed to the massless photon described by the Maxwell equations. The Proca equations are used to describe massive vector fields in quantum field theory.

3. How do the Maxwell and Proca field equations differ?

The main difference between the Maxwell and Proca field equations is the inclusion of a mass term in the Proca equations. This mass term gives rise to a massive vector boson in the Proca theory, whereas the Maxwell theory describes a massless photon. Additionally, the Proca equations exhibit a different behavior at long distances compared to the Maxwell equations due to the presence of the mass term.

4. What physical phenomena do the Maxwell and Proca field equations describe?

The Maxwell field equations describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields, including light, electric and magnetic fields, and electromagnetic radiation. These equations govern a wide range of physical phenomena, from the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields to the propagation of electromagnetic waves through space. The Proca field equations, on the other hand, describe the behavior of massive vector bosons in quantum field theory.

5. How are the Maxwell and Proca field equations used in theoretical physics?

The Maxwell and Proca field equations are fundamental equations in theoretical physics that describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields and massive vector bosons, respectively. These equations are used in a wide range of applications, from classical electrodynamics to quantum field theory. They provide a powerful framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic interactions and the dynamics of vector fields in nature.