by Woopydalan
Tags: facebook, life
Share this thread:
OmCheeto
Jan8-13, 11:11 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,433
Quote Quote by Woopydalan View Post
Any other opinions on this? I think there is still more to discuss...how facebook has changed how people interact, and if it was a change for good. Also the issue of PF being used for similar purposes as FB
FB friends from PF: 16
FB friends from PF I've met in person: 1
FB friends from PF I plan on meeting some day: the other 15
PF friends: 34
PF friends I've met in person: 4
FB friends: 105
FB friends I've never met: 26

I think FB/PF for me is an extension of what I am/was.
I used to travel a lot and met new and interesting people from all over America
Now I surf a lot and meet new and interesting people from all over the World.

I surfed to other lands before both FB and PF.

If both were to disappear(god forbid), I would survive.

I learned how to ignore the twitterers on FB right away. (The ones who post their nose-picking situation every 30 seconds).
I do not belong to twitter.

FB is the tool you make of it.

But I spend 95% of my internet time in PF related activities. There is, and never will be, a comparable substitute, IMHO.
Woopydalan
Jan8-13, 11:13 PM
P: 746
It isn't always idle chit chat. I made good money by selling my taxi services on new year's eve. However, I admit there is tons of nothingness
WannabeNewton
Jan8-13, 11:15 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,633
If you're my age then facebook is the center of all kinds of hilarious teenage drama. It is all insanely funny from the point of view of a passer - by. In that way I am very happy it exists. It is quite an entertaining venue. You may think the stuff you see on all these fb parodies or criticisms involving teenage girls and boys on facebook are over - exaggerated and fake but they are all very true and oh so funny.
Woopydalan
Jan8-13, 11:18 PM
Yes, but then you too can become engulfed in all that crap just by spending a lot of time reading it
WannabeNewton
Jan8-13, 11:21 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,633
Yes, but then you too can become engulfed in all that crap just by spending a lot of time reading it
This is always a danger but I can't help it it's too addicting. It's like reality television as acted out by teens on facebook.
tahayassen
Jan9-13, 03:59 PM
P: 273
Quote Quote by WannabeNewton View Post
If you're my age then facebook is the center of all kinds of hilarious teenage drama. It is all insanely funny from the point of view of a passer - by. In that way I am very happy it exists. It is quite an entertaining venue. You may think the stuff you see on all these fb parodies or criticisms involving teenage girls and boys on facebook are over - exaggerated and fake but they are all very true and oh so funny.
Reminds me of reality TV.
Mentalist
Jan9-13, 04:01 PM
P: 32
Are you considered weird if you don't have a facebook account?
George Jones
Jan9-13, 04:10 PM
Mentor
P: 6,246
Quote Quote by Mentalist View Post
I have never experienced life with facebook.
Woopydalan
Jan9-13, 04:21 PM
Quote Quote by Mentalist View Post
This is actually something that can be discussed, are you breaking social norms by NOT having a facebook? How can this affect someone's social life?
George Jones
Jan9-13, 04:41 PM
Mentor
P: 6,246
Quote Quote by George Jones View Post
I have never experienced life with facebook.
I have also never experienced life with a cell phone, but I am now thinking about getting one.

Upside: my wife could get in touch with me at all times.

Downside: my wife could get in touch with me at all times.
BobG
Jan9-13, 04:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
I am wondering in this day and age, how feasible is it to go without things like facebook? Are there major hindrances to going without a social networking account?

The same could be said about this forum. There are people here that use this forum with similar purposes as facebook: they are the ones I see posting here everyday.

What would you do without a facebook or PF?

I'm starting to think I have a problem..I am always on FB or PF now that I am on winter break, but during the semester I turn off my FB, so I just go on PF even more.

Are we better off without social networking sites and internet forums?
It all depends on what a person would do in place of facebook.

Maybe a person that didn't hang around social networking sites would spend more time with real people doing real activities. That would be good.

Or maybe a person would spend more time doing what most people did before facebook - watch sitcoms on TV. Or play Space Invaders on their Atari.

But I do like Facebook for one big reasons - it's easy to share family pictures. And family activities when they're actually noteworthy. The problem is most people's criteria for "noteworthy".

By the way, I plan on going grocery shopping on the way home from work. I'll provide updates later on as to what I bought and how much I paid for different items. Except in my case, that will probably actually be interesting!
BobG
Jan9-13, 05:04 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
Quote Quote by George Jones View Post
I have also never experienced life with a cell phone, but I am now thinking about getting one.

Most cell phones include caller ID. Just don't answer. Let her call go to voice mail and just delete it.
mfb
Jan13-13, 04:04 PM
Mentor
P: 11,917
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
Quote Quote by George Jones

Most cell phones include caller ID. Just don't answer. Let her call go to voice mail and just delete it.
How can he distinguish upside from downside based on caller ID?

What would you do without a facebook or PF?
The same I did one year ago, just without posts here.

Without forums, chats or any other communication tools, the internet would be (or look like) a lonely place, that is true. But that should not be surprising.

Register to reply