To all Math lovers - Petition for implementation of LaTeX in Facebook

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Ryuzaki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, there is an online petition for the implementation of LaTeX in Facebook. LaTeX is a document markup language-cum-preparation system that renders mathematical equations beautifully. If this were to be implemented on Facebook, it would make the social media platform more applicable to scientific discussions.
Ryuzaki
I know this isn't the appropriate place to post this, but I just couldn't stop myself after hearing something this big (to me atleast!)! I urge you to read through the following carefully:-

There is currently an online petition at Change.org for the implementation of LaTeX in Facebook! For those who don't know what LaTeX is, it's a document markup language-cum-preparation system, that renders mathematical equations beautifully, with the use of simple tags (similar to the ones in HTML).

How beautiful? Well, remember how beautiful the math equations are displayed on Wikipedia? On most math/physics forums, including our PhysicsForums? Just check out some of the posts made by the Mentors here, and you'll see that almost all mathematical posts are rendered beautifully! this wouldn't be possible without LaTeX. Imagine if that were possible in Facebook as well? How much more social could science get? Haven't you ever felt the limitation of not being able to discuss elegant problems with your friends there, for the lack of an equation editor? And what about problems that involved even more serious math, that is almost impossible to present, with the current system there? It would all be so much easier (as opposed to the current "limitless parantheses & odd symbols system") to communicate our scientific thoughts , not just puzzles and curiosities, but serious math-based science, with the implementation of LaTeX!

So, I request the science lovers here to sign this online petition (link at the bottom) for the sake of a more social science exposition, and for beautiful equations! It only takes a minute to sign, and please share the message to your science buddies here, as well as on Facebook, as well. Together, there's hope for a more math-oriented Facebook! :)

And apologies, if anyone has felt that I posted out of context. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...of-writing-in-latex-on-www-facebook-com#share

Physics news on Phys.org
The percent of FB members that would use this is almost nil, but good luck.

What is a facebook?

Seriously, who uses facebook for math discussions?

Every time I read "FB" I think it's referring to the Fruit Bat.

riccotongue.jpg

Evo said:

Yeah, you'd be better off trying to petition for a breathalyzer app, which would be more relevant to the lives of the average FB'er.

leroyjenkens said:
Yeah, you'd be better off trying to petition for a breathalyzer app, which would be more relevant to the lives of the average FB'er.

OMG! And it wouldn't let you drunk-post in the middle of the night?! BRILLIANT!

Also, let me know when there's a petition going around to just shut down Facebook. Even as a shareholder, I'd support it.

I guess I was being naive. Hardly anyone uses FB for discussing math. Just thought it'd be cool though.

Evo said:

Right you are. Found this out the hard way. :biggrin:

Borek said:
Seriously, who uses facebook for math discussions?

Quite embarrassing, but I actually do. :redface: It's where I try to knock some math sense to my non-math friends.

Well, you know the saying, "nothing ventured, nothing gained". At least you had an intelligent idea, unfortunately the majority of FB users don't embrace intelligent ideas.

Evo said:
FB... intelligent

First time I have ever seen these two things said in the same sentence. (I know I cut off a "don't" in the sentence but still :P )

collinsmark said:
Every time I read "FB" I think it's referring to the Fruit Bat.

riccotongue.jpg
:cry:

FB!

I miss him SO MUCH!

SO MUCH! He was my best friend. EVER.

He passed a year ago last month.

Stupid vet, stupid, idiot, incompetant vet. "he has a heart condition, but with meds, he'll live for years...oh...we discovered this 2 years ago, we never told you and never put him on meds... he died 4 days later.

Last edited:
Now google+ on the other hand...

Would be cool but I doubt it will happen.

I'm all for it though.

Good luck.

No Facebook means no PF Junkies. We'll see where you all stand the next time PF goes down for an extended period of time.

Ryuzaki said:

Quite embarrassing, but I actually do. :redface: It's where I try to knock some math sense to my non-math friends.

Not embarrassing at all. I've done it many times. However, the need for LaTeX usually means what you're communicating is probably something non-math people aren't going to be able to follow anyway. As imprecise as English is, it's done well enough for Facebook topics.

Btw - what the heck is that "facebook" thing you're talking about? :biggrin:

1. What is LaTeX and why is it important for math lovers?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating documents with complex mathematical equations and symbols. It is important for math lovers because it allows for clear and professional-looking representation of mathematical concepts.

2. How would implementing LaTeX in Facebook benefit users?

Implementing LaTeX in Facebook would benefit users by allowing them to easily share and communicate mathematical equations and formulas in their posts and comments. It would also make it easier for users to understand and discuss complex mathematical concepts on the platform.

3. Is there a demand for LaTeX in Facebook?

Yes, there is a significant demand for LaTeX in Facebook among math lovers and students. Many users have expressed their frustration with the current limitations in posting mathematical content on the platform and have shown support for the implementation of LaTeX.

4. Are there any potential challenges in implementing LaTeX in Facebook?

One potential challenge in implementing LaTeX in Facebook could be ensuring compatibility with different devices and browsers. Additionally, there may be technical challenges in integrating the LaTeX code into the Facebook platform.

5. How can I show my support for the petition to implement LaTeX in Facebook?

You can show your support by signing the petition and sharing it with other math lovers and Facebook users. You can also reach out to Facebook directly and express your desire for the implementation of LaTeX on the platform.