If entropy is a state function, how can it keep on increasing?

In summary: An isolated system is one which is not interacting with its environment."This is a reasonable definition of "isolated."
champu123
I just have this confusion which is completely eating me up. They say entropy of a system is a state property. Then they say that for a completely isolated system, entropy either increases or remains zero depending on the process being irreversible or reversible.

So, let's say for an isolated system I go from A to B thru a reversible path then entropy is zero. And if I go thru an irreversible path, it's something else. But if entropy is a state property, how can it be different for the two paths between same points? This completely makes no sense to me.

Likes Joker93
Science news on Phys.org
champu123;4224876 So said:
If entropy increases, the two paths will not link the same points. There is a set of points B which can be reached on reversible paths starting from A and there are other distinct states B' which can only be reached in irreversible processes.

Plot the state of the system using Entropy and Temperature as coordinates.

DrDu said:
If entropy increases, the two paths will not link the same points. There is a set of points B which can be reached on reversible paths starting from A and there are other distinct states B' which can only be reached in irreversible processes.

Thanks for the reply. That cleared up some confusion. I also found some long discussion here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=313396. This thread poses the same question as my confusion.

Hence, I'd like to quote the above mentioned thread and answer the question posted in above thread based on my understanding. In the above thread, the user say:

If we consider an isolated system in which a process occurs, then according to the clausius inequality :
dS≥dQ/T

Since dQ = 0 , it follows that if the process occurs reversibly dS = 0 and irreversibly dS > 0. But entropy is a state function , how could this possibly be ?

My answer: The point here is that if the process occurs irreversibly it takes the system to a different state then when it'd have been reversible.
Now, if I say that the system is at state A, and perfectly isolated. Now, if there is a reversible process which takes it to state B. So, are you saying that it's impossible to design an irreversible process that can take the system to state B? By using an irreversible process, you could take it another state B' or B'' but not B. I think the answer should be yes (i.e. it'd be impossible). And in that case it's a very interesting conclusion.

So now tell me is the conclusion indeed true??

Last edited:
If you mean with perfectly isolated that the system is thermally isolated but can also not do any work (or that no work can be done on the system) then you are right, the state cannot change at all.
However, usually with isolated one understands only thermally isolated, so that work can still be done.

1. What is entropy and how is it related to state functions?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is related to state functions because it is a property of a system that depends only on its current state, regardless of how that state was achieved.

2. How can entropy increase if it is a state function?

While entropy itself is a state function, the change in entropy (ΔS) can still increase due to an increase in disorder or randomness within the system. This change in entropy is dependent on the direction of a process and not the state of the system.

3. Can entropy ever decrease?

Yes, entropy can decrease in some processes such as phase changes or chemical reactions, where the system becomes more ordered. However, the total entropy of the universe will always increase.

4. What is the relationship between entropy and the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always increase over time. This is because natural processes tend to move towards a state of greater disorder, resulting in an overall increase in entropy.

5. How does entropy relate to the concept of energy conservation?

Entropy is not directly related to energy conservation. While energy cannot be created or destroyed in a closed system, it can be converted into different forms. Entropy, on the other hand, will always increase in a closed system over time.