On weight of photon

by dev70
Tags: photon, weight
Share this thread:
dev70
Jan11-13, 12:51 PM
P: 58
hi pf, my friends asked me a strange question to me today,
"if in a vacuum chamber if light is somehow focused on a suitable weighing machine then will there be any deflection?
if yes does that mean light has mass? "

sounds strange, isnt? that why i choose to ask here?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
mfb
Jan11-13, 01:25 PM
Mentor
P: 11,570
Focused in which way? Coming from above, reflecting light upwards? This will transfer momentum, and the scale will change.
Focused to have a high and constant energy density close to some (hypothetical) very sensitive scale? The scale should see an attraction.
Something else?
dev70
Jan11-13, 11:56 PM
coming from above, and focused on a sensitive scale..

mfb
Jan12-13, 03:13 AM
Mentor
On weight of photon

Light has a momentum, and momentum times intensity is a pressure. Pressure times surface area (of your scale, or focus) is a force, and the scale can measure this.
The Nichols radiometer is not a scale, but it operates with light pressure.
dev70
Jan12-13, 03:41 AM
wow..beautiful explanation. i think i got it... i need some time for review..thanks by the way
dev70
Jan12-13, 03:43 AM
i guess it doesnt have anything to do with mass of photon?
mfb
Jan12-13, 03:57 AM
Mentor
A photon has no mass.

Register to reply